The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II) - 24 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 5_nine
think derivation of kinetic gas theory equation (pv=1/3Nm<c>^2) is quite likely to come up

ah bugger I hate that
should i even try for this paper
Does anyone have links to hard specification papers or just general hard exam questions to look at?
Original post by nathalieadaugo
Does anyone know what the derivation goes like?

This video is pretty good at explaining it, the actual derivation starts at 2 minutes
Original post by Curiousstudent03
ah bugger I hate that

I wonder if they will ask it, because it came up on paper 2 SAM2 ask your teacher to give you that paper. It is locked but it's very good.
Original post by Youreadmyname
I wonder if they will ask it, because it came up on paper 2 SAM2 ask your teacher to give you that paper. It is locked but it's very good.

Transformers came in SAM2 Paper 1 q13, so maybe.
If you guys weren't aware they asked in the AS 2019 to compare photoelectric effect and radiation on LDR. Do you guys think they might ask to compare thermionic emission and photoelectric effect in paper 3?
If you guys weren't aware they asked in the AS 2019 to compare photoelectric effect and radiation on LDR. Do you guys think they might ask to compare thermionic emission and photoelectric effect in paper 3?

I just know that they're basically the same thing. But with thermionic emission you're using heating instead of photons to reach the work function.
SimilaritiesAny one from:
●Both must reach a threshold amount of energy/work function to release electrons. (1)
●Both provide the electron with sufficient kinetic energy to escape. (1)
●Kinetic energy of electron will be equal to the energy delivered less the work function in both cases.(1)

DifferencesAny one from:
●Thermionic emission uses internal energy whereas photoelectric effect uses incident photons as energy source.(1)
●In photoelectric effect photons do not reach all electrons whereas in thermionic emission all/more electrons will be absorbing internal energy. (1)
●Varying intensity of light will directly control the number of photoelectrons but not their energy. Varying temperature will affect the energy of emitted thermoelectrons.(1)
●Photoelectrons can be emitted or stopped immediately whereasthermoelectrons may still be emitted while metal cools or have to wait while it is heated.(1)

Original post by _gcx
I just know that they're basically the same thing. But with thermionic emission you're using heating instead of photons to reach the work function.

This is from one of the edexcel resource packs.
SimilaritiesAny one from:
●Both must reach a threshold amount of energy/work function to release electrons. (1)
●Both provide the electron with sufficient kinetic energy to escape. (1)
●Kinetic energy of electron will be equal to the energy delivered less the work function in both cases.(1)

DifferencesAny one from:
●Thermionic emission uses internal energy whereas photoelectric effect uses incident photons as energy source.(1)
●In photoelectric effect photons do not reach all electrons whereas in thermionic emission all/more electrons will be absorbing internal energy. (1)
●Varying intensity of light will directly control the number of photoelectrons but not their energy. Varying temperature will affect the energy of emitted thermoelectrons.(1)
●Photoelectrons can be emitted or stopped immediately whereasthermoelectrons may still be emitted while metal cools or have to wait while it is heated.(1)

This is from one of the edexcel resource packs.

Ah, think I would've only got difference 3, though difference 2 is kind of common sense. Will keep this in mind.
Reply 30

How does this work because doesn't the photons for the photoelectric effect reach electrons at different depths in the metal which is what causes the range in kinetic energy? How would this be any different for thermionic emission?
Original post by Niice
How does this work because doesn't the photons for the photoelectric effect reach electrons at different depths in the metal which is what causes the range in kinetic energy? How would this be any different for thermionic emission?

I'm assuming it's because each photon can only interact with one electron, while heat would just cover the surface and be able to give multiple electrons simultaneously enough energy to be emitted? Not sure.
Original post by Niice

It's probably to do with the fact that there is a one to one interaction between photons and electrons. So if sufficient energy isn't supplied, the electrons transfer the energy absorbed from the photon to the metal rather than being emitted as a photoelectron. Whereas in thermionic emission the electrons being emitted are delocalized electrons which gain sufficient energy to over come the bonds holding them to the metal.
Reply 33
Original post by _gcx
I'm assuming it's because each photon can only interact with one electron, while heat would just cover the surface and be able to give multiple electrons simultaneously enough energy to be emitted? Not sure.

It's probably to do with the fact that there is a one to one interaction between photons and electrons. So if sufficient energy isn't supplied, the electrons transfer the energy absorbed from the photon to the metal rather than being emitted as a photoelectron. Whereas in thermionic emission the electrons being emitted are delocalized electrons which gain sufficient energy to over come the bonds holding them to the metal.

Okay makes sense thanks
Kinda used this :
https://www.physics-and-radio-electronics.com/electronic-devices-and-circuits/electron-emission/thermionicemission.html
I presume what they call "free electron" is a delocalized electron.
Reply 35
Have a feeling lenses and damping will come.
Original post by Htn_02

Lenses is an edexcel all time favorite and damping hasn't come up frequently, so definitely a possibility.
Original post by Htn_02

Damping isn't hard - something you need to emphasise is that energy is dissipated in the damper and not returned to the oscillating system.
Lenses is an edexcel all time favorite and damping hasn't come up frequently, so definitely a possibility.

I've done quite a few unit 5 papers and didn't think damping was that rare.

Lenses are new so definitely be mindful.
Reply 39

Original post by _gcx
I've done quite a few unit 5 papers and didn't think damping was that rare.

Lenses are new so definitely be mindful.

Dont mind damping tbf but lenses is just ugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending