The Student Room Group

Business management degree ?

I'm in year 12 and I think I want to do this degree because of my own reasons. I'm going to a taster course for business management at City London Uni soon. But I've never studied business, I'm currently doing economics a-level though which has elements of business.

My question is what can I expect? What kind of things do you learn in this degree? If anyone knows anything about this degree please let me know! Thank you.
Reply 1
BM degrees are really easy, you will have classes around teamwork and "leadership" that are mostly generic common sense stuff you already know and everyone always passes. Some math and statistics, Economy, Accounting and maybe a bit of game theory ans some elementary corp. and contract law. You will be writing mock proposals, balance sheets etc. It's bit of everything.
You would be better of doing undergrad finance or accounting and then doing MBA in a discipline that will feel relevant to you.
Original post by yoongiseesaw
I'm in year 12 and I think I want to do this degree because of my own reasons. I'm going to a taster course for business management at City London Uni soon. But I've never studied business, I'm currently doing economics a-level though which has elements of business.

My question is what can I expect? What kind of things do you learn in this degree? If anyone knows anything about this degree please let me know! Thank you.

Hey!

Great to hear you are interested in studying Business Management at university. I am a 3rd year Management student at the University of Bath and will happily share my experience :smile:

Like you, I had never studied business and was really worried this would mean I was a step behind other people on the course. However it really didn't matter at all and most A-Levels are relevant to at least some areas of business because it is such a broad degree. I studied Maths, Psychology and English Language at A-Level and found they all tied in really well - Economics is a great one to have too :smile: It can definitely benefit you to have strong skills in numerical AND essay-based subjects because business demands both, and the Bath Management School particularly look for this balance when considering applications.

In first year, we covered a broad range of business disciplines. At Bath it is quite nice because you study 10 modules in the year which gives you the chance to sample many different topics such as accounting, HR, finance, marketing, international business, economics, business analytics, operations management, law, strategy, e-commerce, advertising and more.

In second year, we could tailor our degree more through optional modules. I chose to keep it broad, however, some students choose to take all of the e.g. marketing modules (branding, strategic marketing, consumer psychology etc.). Third year is very flexible with all but 2 modules being optional and there are plenty to choose from so you can get the right mix for you.

In general, business students tend to be examined in a variety of ways, but do expect to give presentations and undertake group assignments as this is typical of jobs requirements in the field.

You will find a business degree leads to lots of careers options and many Management students experiment with a work placement. I am working in marketing at a global company which has been great experience in terms of the application process for undergraduate jobs and learning what a marketing position really entails. It is a nice break from studying and a good chance to earn some money too! The placement year is really encouraged at Bath, with many students going to large well-known companies such as Loreal, Moet Hennessey, Morgan Stanley, PWC, Johnson & Johnson, Dyson, BP, Toyota, Rolls Royce, Jaguar Land Rover, Unilever, P&G etc. There are some great placements at small organisations too.

I hope this helps and just quote me if you have any more questions :smile:

Alice,
3rd Year Management Student, University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending