The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

WBS: BSc Management v BSc International Management

Ive tried to read up on this on the prospectus but can't get a definitive answer.

Based on what I inferred from the open day, they are the exact same degree except for international you take a year abroad rather than year in industry?

Is that the only difference?

What else is different between the two courses content-wise?
Original post by tf9387
Ive tried to read up on this on the prospectus but can't get a definitive answer.

Based on what I inferred from the open day, they are the exact same degree except for international you take a year abroad rather than year in industry?

Is that the only difference?

What else is different between the two courses content-wise?

In general, my impression of the 2 is that there's very little difference and one is almost interchangeable with the other. The minor difference is that in the international management degree, you cover more material on international trade and global risk (and you would hear the lecturer saying the term 'international' or 'global' a lot more often. Otherwise, it's just another management/business degree.

Being really specific though, the following pages shows you the content:
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/management/structure/ (note: the management degree also allows you to take a placement year locally or abroad, although it doesn't say you can study abroad though: https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/management/placement-year/)
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/international-management/structure/

First and second year modules are identical. In the third year, you need to take International Perspectives in Business, Management and Society in the International Management degree, and you end up with one less elective.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
In general, my impression of the 2 is that there's very little difference and one is almost interchangeable with the other. The minor difference is that in the international management degree, you cover more material on international trade and global risk (and you would hear the lecturer saying the term 'international' or 'global' a lot more often. Otherwise, it's just another management/business degree.

Being really specific though, the following pages shows you the content:
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/management/structure/ (note: the management degree also allows you to take a placement year locally or abroad, although it doesn't say you can study abroad though: https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/management/placement-year/)
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/international-management/structure/

First and second year modules are identical. In the third year, you need to take International Perspectives in Business, Management and Society in the International Management degree, and you end up with one less elective.

Much appreciated.
I also had a look on the modules and was surprised at the crossover since alot of IM degrees are quite different. Maybe the electives are different?

Thanks for the input
Original post by tf9387
Much appreciated.
I also had a look on the modules and was surprised at the crossover since alot of IM degrees are quite different. Maybe the electives are different?

Thanks for the input

Looking at second and third year electives, Management allows you to pick digital innovation that's not available on the IM degree.

If you look at the individual electives, you get the following for their respective degree only:

Entrepreneurship (Management): Building a venture

Entrepreneurship (IM): Cognition and decision making

Finance (Management): Alternative and Responsible Investment

Other (Management): Developing and communicating powerful brands, Economics of wellbeing,

Other (IM): Auditing Governance and Accountability, Corporate Strategy, Equality and Diversity, Fundamentals of Business Law, Issues in Management Accounting, Managing Human Resources

I don't know what particular electives or topics you particularly value, but I don't see much difference that would distinguish between the 2 degrees. Having said that, I need to specify that I am bias against management and business degrees in general, so I might not be the best person to offer an objective opinion.
Having said that, I do have an opinion on electives and modules that are somewhat useful in a management degree.
Has anyone applied to management at Warwick in this thread? If so, what are your predicted grades and GCSEs looking like?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
Has anyone applied to management at Warwick in this thread? If so, what are your predicted grades and GCSEs looking like?

Yep I ended up applying to Management, not Intl Management.

No offer yet but only submitted on friday

Got 99998887 at GCSE, predicted A*A*A
Original post by tf9387

Nice, I applied 2 weeks ago with predicted A*AA
Original post by tf9387

Where else did you apply?
Reply 8
Where else did you apply?

Kings, Bath, Newcastle & Aston.
Just got my Warwick offer to make it 3/5 so far
Original post by tf9387

Well done!!! I thought Warwick was waiting after January to give out management offers, so that has got me a bit worried.
Original post by tf9387

Was it A*AA?
Reply 11
Was it A*AA?

Yep
Reply 12
Well done!!! I thought Warwick was waiting after January to give out management offers, so that has got me a bit worried.

Hey dont worry about it If youve got the grades to show for you'll almost certainly get an offer. Speaking to some of my friends theyve also only just started/are still waiting on their warwick offers
Original post by tf9387
Hey dont worry about it If youve got the grades to show for you'll almost certainly get an offer. Speaking to some of my friends theyve also only just started/are still waiting on their warwick offers

Yeah, hopefully that's the case. Please keep me updated if anyone you know hears anything back.

Quick Reply

Latest