The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Oadby Student Village vs City Living?

Hello, I will be attending University of Leicester in September 2019 for law llb. I am an international student from Canada and was wondering whether to choose Oadby or City Living. Any insights?
i wrote a huge reply to u but it deleted it. so basically, oadby has a more student 'village' feel so if your younger, wanna make friends, participate in cliche university bonding and chill its cool. However, the accomodations aside from John Foster are pretty crappy, and they still charge a lot. Also, its a 45 min walk from campus, so real far, you have to get a bus pass which is a few hundered pounds for the yr. I would personally recommend city living, thats my option next year. But I would recomend stay off of leciester uni accomodations as they are not great and still pricey! For the same price you can get stuff wayy nicer from 3rd party student residences. For example, Im staying at Lumis next year, feel free to google it. I would say ur best bet is something within walking distance of uni and school, best of both worlds. I will leave off by saying i dont really regret oadby living, it has its ups and down but I met a lot of great friends here, and its cool cause its all first years so you can meet new people. Depends on what type of person you are and what your looking to get out of this uni/abroad expirence, feel free to hit me with any questions lol I wish I had this before I came!
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello! I'm looking for accommodation and read your comments on the village and the city. Googled the lumis and almost every type of room is only available on waiting list already. But the rooms do look so nice and I wonder there would be any place similar to this one :/ Also, is it common for students to share a house or flat near the uni? Thanks!
Original post by Jaspaul Singh
i wrote a huge reply to u but it deleted it. so basically, oadby has a more student 'village' feel so if your younger, wanna make friends, participate in cliche university bonding and chill its cool. However, the accomodations aside from John Foster are pretty crappy, and they still charge a lot. Also, its a 45 min walk from campus, so real far, you have to get a bus pass which is a few hundered pounds for the yr. I would personally recommend city living, thats my option next year. But I would recomend stay off of leciester uni accomodations as they are not great and still pricey! For the same price you can get stuff wayy nicer from 3rd party student residences. For example, Im staying at Lumis next year, feel free to google it. I would say ur best bet is something within walking distance of uni and school, best of both worlds. I will leave off by saying i dont really regret oadby living, it has its ups and down but I met a lot of great friends here, and its cool cause its all first years so you can meet new people. Depends on what type of person you are and what your looking to get out of this uni/abroad expirence, feel free to hit me with any questions lol I wish I had this before I came!
Ultimately it depends on your preference but if you are 18 or 19 and want to go out a fair bit I would advise oadby for first years. The bus is annoying but forces you to talk to others. If you are not looking to go out I would look into flats ect but the overall saving isn't as much as you think if you only stay during term time anyway.

If you are older I would be more sceptical about going to Oadby as most people are young.
Original post by margpkli
Hello! I'm looking for accommodation and read your comments on the village and the city. Googled the lumis and almost every type of room is only available on waiting list already. But the rooms do look so nice and I wonder there would be any place similar to this one :/ Also, is it common for students to share a house or flat near the uni? Thanks!

It honestly depends, but if you are a first year 18/19/20 y.o Oadby is okay I guess but personally I recommend city living in particular Opal Court which is right next to the uni, and it has an ensuite too plus the contracts are shorter than Lumis which is 51 weeks
Reply 5
Original post by pezisland37
It honestly depends, but if you are a first year 18/19/20 y.o Oadby is okay I guess but personally I recommend city living in particular Opal Court which is right next to the uni, and it has an ensuite too plus the contracts are shorter than Lumis which is 51 weeks

Do all accommodation types in Oadby and City require sharing of the kitchen? Is there any studio flat among them?
Do all accommodation types in Oadby and City require sharing of the kitchen? Is there any studio flat among them?

As far as I'm aware there are a few studio flats. My personal feeling is that I wouldn't bother as they are a waste of money. However each to there own. Also if you want a studio flat it might be worth asking whether Oadby, city ect is for you

there are some studios like brookland rd for example but yh the majority of the accomm at leics is shared facilities like kitchens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending