The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE 9-1 Higher Tier Maths - Paper 3 - 11th June 2019 (Calculator)

This poll is closed

How did your GCSE Edexcel Higher Maths Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive10%
The paper was reasonable 32%
Not feeling great about that exam...32%
It was TERRIBLE25%
Total votes: 1004
Hey guys!

Welcome to the official thread for GCSE Edexcel Higher Tier Maths paper 3!

This thread is where you can discuss the paper, share resources, and revision tips. Feel free to post any resources you would like to share!

Here are some essential documents:

Spec:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf

Sample assessment material:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...s-2015-SAM.pdf

Assessment Guide:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...als%20iPDF.pdf

Past Papers:
https://mathsoutlet.weebly.com/

To get this thread rolling you can answer the following questions!

How is revision going?

How prepared are you right now?

What is your Wanted grade/Predicted grade?

If you want to discuss Paper 1 or Paper 2 do so here:

Paper 1:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5874628

Paper 2:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5874634

Scroll to see replies

hi
i really want a grade 7 in maths . i usually get a grade 6 but in recent mocks i dropped to a 5. can revising maths everyday during easter help me get a grade 7 . Any tips or advice
Original post by rakuseeland
hi
i really want a grade 7 in maths . i usually get a grade 6 but in recent mocks i dropped to a 5. can revising maths everyday during easter help me get a grade 7 . Any tips or advice

If you revise maths everyday then you can definitely get a 6 minimum, my tips would be to make sure you understand all the content, once you can make sense of everything on the spec then it's time to take on past papers (you can find loads here: https://mathsoutlet.weebly.com/) When you do the past papers make sure you mark them and identify the topics you struggled on, then go back to these topics and revise them again. And basically continue this cycle :wink:
lmao after that easy paper 2 they gonna **** on us in paper 3 ;-;
Reply 4
hi

There is always a harder paper, however the advantage of having it last is that they don't test many topics twice, so you can mostly predict which topics are likely to be on.
Paper 3 is likely to be the hardest.
hi

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I need a 7 for my college, otherwise, I can't go to it. I've never gotten a 7 before. before the last mocks that we had, it was easy for me to get a 6, but then after the last mocks, I also dropped to a 5. it's very hard for me to revise at home or in school revision sessions. after revising I would usually still be unsure whether I actually understood it or if I could actually do it in the exam. the only online revision that gives me confidence in my self was the revision sheets from mathsgenie, I just go down and do the worksheets from grade 6-9. the question's difficulty is very close to the one you would get in an actual exam, which means that if you can't answer them there, you also can't answer them in the exam what's even better is that the solutions sheet show you the working out for the answers instead of just comparing it to a mark scheme. I hope this is useful for you and that you get your 7. good luck.
Reply 7
what topics are most likely to come up?
Reply 8
Yeah I thought paper 1 and 2 were okay, not necessarily really easy, but not hard. Paper 3 will be hard but you'll be fine. It will be hard for everyone. It's all just a competition with everyone else doing Edexcel. The higher your ranking the higher your grade.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
0F73DFB8-0CB3-4631-944C-36330DEA9583.jpg.jpeg0B53B6C4-BF90-49AB-94E7-1A7CA1039A37.jpg.jpeg

Here are the topics which didn't appear on paper 1 or 2, so make sure you've revised any to need to.
Here are topics that have not come up on paper 1 or 2:

- Factorising/Expanding quadratics
- Solving quadratic equations
- Solving indices equations
- Percentages
- Reverse percentages
- Compound interest
- Construction/Loci
- Bearings
- Venn Diagrams
- Quadratic sequences
- Quadratic inequalities
- Nth term problem solving
- Angles in polygons (proving it has n amount sides)
- Simultaneous equations
- Iteration
- More trigonometry but using sine and cosine rules
- Congruence/Similarities
- Graphs (Histograms, Frequency polygons, trigonometric, exponential, cubic, reciprocal)
- Transforming graphs
- Proving a circle theorem
- Equation of a tangent

Also there is a strong chance that one of the 3-5 mark questions will use bounds.
(edited 4 years ago)
No for the mocks paper 2 was easy but paper 3 was easier so
I Want a 7 in maths but i don't think paper 1 went very well. Can i redeem myself with paper 3?? Paper 2 was pretty good by the way
yes you can, i didnt like paper 1 either, you can make up for it dw
Original post by ShekinahM
I Want a 7 in maths but i don't think paper 1 went very well. Can i redeem myself with paper 3?? Paper 2 was pretty good by the way
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Paper 3 is likely to be the hardest.

i hope not :frown:
same! paper 1 wasnt the best and paper 2 was way better than expected. I want a 7 too..in my mocks i got a 6 though
Original post by mannyman6
Here are topics that have not come up on paper 1 or 2:

- Factorising/Expanding quadratics
- Solving quadratic equations
- Solving indices equations
- Percentages
- Reverse percentages
- Compound interest
- Construction/Loci
- Bearings
- Venn Diagrams
- Quadratic sequences
- Quadratic inequalities
- Nth term problem solving
- Angles in polygons (proving it has n amount sides)
- Simultaneous equations
- Iteration
- More trigonometry but using sine and cosine rules
- Congruence/Similarities
- Graphs (Histograms, Frequency polygons, trigonometric, exponential, cubic, reciprocal)
- Transforming graphs
- Proving a circle theorem
- Equation of a tangent

Also there is a strong chance that one of the 3-5 mark questions will use bounds.

Do you think loci and bearings would cone up on with paper
What do you think the grade boundaries would be like for a grade 6???
Last year it was 109 but I feel it would go up to like 120 or 130
Reply 18
I highly doubt the difference would be so drastic
Original post by Minnerow
What do you think the grade boundaries would be like for a grade 6???
Last year it was 109 but I feel it would go up to like 120 or 130
It came up for Foundation. So lucky for that. But I think it might ask us to construct a perpendicular bisector for only 2 marks. Make sure you know how to do this.
Do you think loci and bearings would cone up on with paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending