The Student Room Group

Help me out of my musical rut!

I'm open to all genres but everything i'm listening to is old stuff. I love Kacey Musgraves, some rock music (Lenny Kravitz's 5 album and Kaiser Chiefs Employment / Off With Their Heads, some Kasabian songs), Haim and Lady Antebellum. I like more mellow music. Used to find new stuff on Radio 6 with Radcliffe and Maconie's show but never get a chance to listen to them with the new schedule!
What is new that I might like? please recommend :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Camelliavi
I'm open to all genres but everything i'm listening to is old stuff. I love Kacey Musgraves, some rock music (Lenny Kravitz's 5 album and Kaiser Chiefs Employment / Off With Their Heads, some Kasabian songs), Haim and Lady Antebellum. I like more mellow music. Used to find new stuff on Radio 6 with Radcliffe and Maconie's show but never get a chance to listen to them with the new schedule!

There's plenty of old stuff that you've probably not listened to. A handful of albums off the top of my head:

In the Court of the Crimson King (King Crimson)

A Passion Play (Jethro Tull)

Computerwelt (Kraftwerk)

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (Rick Wakeman)

Broken China (Rick Wright)

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (Roger Waters)

Eliminator (ZZ Top)

But I'm guessing they're probably very much older than you're used to.
Reply 2
Original post by Tootles
There's plenty of old stuff that you've probably not listened to. A handful of albums off the top of my head:

In the Court of the Crimson King (King Crimson)

A Passion Play (Jethro Tull)

Computerwelt (Kraftwerk)

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (Rick Wakeman)

Broken China (Rick Wright)

The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (Roger Waters)

Eliminator (ZZ Top)

But I'm guessing they're probably very much older than you're used to.

Thanks for replying! I'll be adding the artists on Spotify to listen to :smile:
Reply 3
WYRMS

INDIE!!!yehyehyeh vampire weekend are good, also circa waves, declan mckenna, tears for fears,etc. also 80s music is banging
Reply 5
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
INDIE!!!yehyehyeh vampire weekend are good, also circa waves, declan mckenna, tears for fears,etc. also 80s music is banging

Thanks! I love Indie and 80s Music too! any 80's recommendations? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
WYRMS

Thank you! i'm looking forward to listening to their stuff!
Reply 7
Thank you! i'm looking forward to listening to their stuff!

:laugh:

I might have some serious suggestions in a bit, but I'm in my giddy phase.

Oh, in fact, I do: get hold of some Ella Fitzgerald stuff.
Reply 8
Dub step?
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
:laugh:

I might have some serious suggestions in a bit, but I'm in my giddy phase.

Oh, in fact, I do: get hold of some Ella Fitzgerald stuff.

Hahahaha! I just Googled them! lol. If it makes you feel better I have a eurovision playlist on Spotify! Ella Fitzgerald is great :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Pigster
Dub step?

Thanks! which dubstep should i be listening to? :smile:
Reply 11
Hahahaha! I just Googled them! lol. If it makes you feel better I have a eurovision playlist on Spotify! Ella Fitzgerald is great :smile:

Haha, I'm not above having 90s pop days meself, so I understand the draw of the Eurovision! How mellow is mellow? There's a guy called the White Buffalo who is very good. Maybe a bit of Glen Campbell? Sam Lewis is really good, kinda laid back country ish stuff:

I would recommend Alt- J, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and Interpol. I reckon there might be some Muse songs that you would also like
With regards to 80s I would recommend The Smiths and New Order

oooooooo :party::party::party: This should do for now :laugh: :

Huey Lewis and the News
Tears for Fears
Belinda Carlisle
Irene Cara
Queen
Phil Oakley
Paul Simon
Phil Collins
Madonna (obvs :biggrin:)
Weezer
Green Day (personal fave)
Whitney Houston
Billy Joel
Laura Branigan
The Smiths
Michael Jackson
Depeche Mode
Wham
Hall and Oates
The Bangles
Pet Shop Boys
The Beach Boys
Culture Club
The Human League
Spandau Ballet
What about YouTube? There's plenty of stuff on there. Dead or Alive are another 80's band I would recommend.

Here are my suggestions-
Vampire Weekend: Harmony Hall (Their new album comes out soon)- Based on HAIM- One of the singers from HAIM will actually feature on their album
Maggie Rogers: Heard it in a past life - Based on HAIM and Kasey Musgraves
Billie Marten: Writing's of blue and yellow (not that new but really relaxing)- based on Kasey Musgraves
Ward Thomas: Cartwheels (This is there first album but their new album "Restless minds" is also very good)- based on Kasey Musgraves
You should also check out Kevin Garrett and Hozier
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!- Everything by AURORA (she also has a new album on June 7th)- Based on All

Quick Reply

Latest