The Student Room Group

Uni decision

I had a last minute impulse to apply to uni through clearing.The deadline to send back a form and confirm application is tomorrow. I haven't applied for finance either, but I'm having second thoughts because I don't feel ready uni to start in one month. Also id be relying on my parents to pay for things which I don't like. Overall, I think I'm ready to study the course,but not ready to start uni life if makes sense with it being a last minute decision, i haven't had time to consider other options or or university's accommodations as a result living at home for the first year and feel 1 might miss out on the social use or full university experience. However, if I take a gap year I'm worried that I will become demotivated, get In a rut or be too comfortable with earning money at a job. Please can get some advice on what path to take because this decision is literally taking over my life
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi Kerry!
It sounds like maybe you aren’t ready to go to university yet, with it being such an impulsive decision, is it based on maybe your friends going and you feel like you also need to go?
If you are ready for the course then just apply as soon as application open for next academic year (September) and in that way you would have some more time to think about university choices and look into courses a little more AND get into halls for that university experience you wanted! In that way hopefully you won’t get into a rut and also I took a gap year and I am going to university this year and like if you jsut apply and keep the mindset that you are defo going, you’ll be fine!

Just don’t stress about it because it is not worth the stress! :smile:
Original post by Possumm8
Hi Kerry!
It sounds like maybe you aren’t ready to go to university yet, with it being such an impulsive decision, is it based on maybe your friends going and you feel like you also need to go?
If you are ready for the course then just apply as soon as application open for next academic year (September) and in that way you would have some more time to think about university choices and look into courses a little more AND get into halls for that university experience you wanted! In that way hopefully you won’t get into a rut and also I took a gap year and I am going to university this year and like if you jsut apply and keep the mindset that you are defo going, you’ll be fine!

Just don’t stress about it because it is not worth the stress! :smile:

Thank you so much! Really needed to hear this. I think that's why I applied in the first place , because my friends were and I started feeling left behind which shouldn't be the reason I apply. There does seem to be lots of pros for a gap year , hope you enjoyed yours :smile:
Hi @kerry.woollands,

I'm sorry to hear you're concerned about uni life.

But do not worry, we have all been there.

Classes and events are starting very soon which might be too early for certain people.

If you do decide to take a gap year, feel free to gain some experiences throughout the year. For intance, applying to jobs, doing volunteer work or joining clubs and societies, as not only will it keep your mind off things but also improve your CV and broaden your skills.

Additionally, certain univerisities offer courses with a January intake. Therefore, if you're uncertain of going to university in September 2023, there is a chance you might be able to join in January 2024.

I hope I managed to help!

Best wishes,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending