The Student Room Group

I don't think I'm going to pass 1st year. What can I do?

So I'm just finishing first year and pretty sure I'm going to fail one of my modules, worth 20 credits. I think I will scrape by in the other ones, so I should still have 100 credits by the end of the year, but I've just absolutely fumbled my most recent exam for this particular module. It's three exams, I got like 60% or somthing on one, I could have done better but I really messed up and didn't read a bunch of the questions properly. I feel like a right idiot. And then my most recent one was speaking and I just could barely get a sentence out, I'm certain I failed it. Now I have one more tomorrow and I'm realising that I'm totally unprepared, and I've forgotten loads of stuff that we covered last semester.

I know it sounds really bad, but please don't tell me to reconsider uni or my course. I am actually good at it, I promise and I absolutely love it. I just had a family member pass away in March, which triggered my depression a lot and just stuck me in a rut which I'm only just starting to get out of.

I'm really eager to sort myself out over summer now and come back ready next year, but I'm just not really sure what that will look like. Am I likely to have to repeat the whole year, or just the module? And then do you think I'm likely to be able to do it alongside everything else come september. I've heard that you can do summer school and then resit, but this isn't really viable for me as I really need to work over the summer, my uni is really far away and I can't even afford to travel back until september, let alone pay for rent or anything.

Also will this affect my student loans if I do have to repeat?

I'm just really scared about whats going to happen next, I absolutely never thought this would happen to me and I feel so disappointed in myself.

I don't even know if special circs would help at this point, I feel like I've totally failed, besides I don't want to apply for them because I just feel so guilty about it and I don't want to be the one to take advantage of a bad situation.
Regarding extenuating circumstances, I believe you have to apply for them in good time before exams, they usually won't be accepted afterwards.
Reply 2
You will usually be offered the chance to resit over the summer, which will be classed as your 2nd attempt. If you don't do these and take your chances on retaking the modules next year or repeating the year making it your 3rd attempt, assuming you are offered the opportunity which btw is dependent on your uni's regs, and you fail any of them, you will be in big trouble so my advice is to do whatever you need to do this summer to pass everything. Seriously.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by crowley4
So I'm just finishing first year and pretty sure I'm going to fail one of my modules, worth 20 credits. I think I will scrape by in the other ones, so I should still have 100 credits by the end of the year, but I've just absolutely fumbled my most recent exam for this particular module. It's three exams, I got like 60% or somthing on one, I could have done better but I really messed up and didn't read a bunch of the questions properly. I feel like a right idiot. And then my most recent one was speaking and I just could barely get a sentence out, I'm certain I failed it. Now I have one more tomorrow and I'm realising that I'm totally unprepared, and I've forgotten loads of stuff that we covered last semester.

I know it sounds really bad, but please don't tell me to reconsider uni or my course. I am actually good at it, I promise and I absolutely love it. I just had a family member pass away in March, which triggered my depression a lot and just stuck me in a rut which I'm only just starting to get out of.

I'm really eager to sort myself out over summer now and come back ready next year, but I'm just not really sure what that will look like. Am I likely to have to repeat the whole year, or just the module? And then do you think I'm likely to be able to do it alongside everything else come september. I've heard that you can do summer school and then resit, but this isn't really viable for me as I really need to work over the summer, my uni is really far away and I can't even afford to travel back until september, let alone pay for rent or anything.

Also will this affect my student loans if I do have to repeat?

I'm just really scared about whats going to happen next, I absolutely never thought this would happen to me and I feel so disappointed in myself.

I don't even know if special circs would help at this point, I feel like I've totally failed, besides I don't want to apply for them because I just feel so guilty about it and I don't want to be the one to take advantage of a bad situation.

Hey!
First of all, I want to say that I understand how tough things can get sometimes, and it's completely normal to feel disappointed or scared. But hey, don't beat yourself up too much. We all stumble and face challenges along the way. It's how we bounce back that really matters.

It's good to hear that you're passionate about your course and confident in your abilities. That's a great starting point! I'm really sorry to hear about your loss and how it has affected your mental health. It's important to prioritize your well-being, so don't hesitate to seek support from your university's counseling services or reach out to someone you trust. They can offer guidance and help you navigate through this difficult time.

As for your academic situation, the best thing to do is to reach out to your personal academic tutor as soon as possible. They are there to assist you and provide advice tailored to your specific circumstances. They can guide you on the options available, such as repeating the module or the entire year. Each university has its own policies, so they'll be able to give you accurate information. Regarding summer school and resitting exams, it's understandable that it may not be feasible for you due to work and financial constraints. Again, discussing this with your tutor will help clarify the alternatives available. They might suggest an alternative plan or provide suggestions to help you catch up during the next academic year.

As for student loans, it's best to contact your university's financial aid office or student services to get precise information about how repeating modules or the year might impact your loans. They have the expertise to guide you through the financial aspects and any potential implications.

Remember, seeking help or exploring support options doesn't mean you're taking advantage of a bad situation. Universities have resources in place precisely for situations like this, and they want to see you succeed. Don't hesitate to ask for assistance, as it can make a significant difference in your academic journey. Stay positive and focus on your desire to come back stronger next year. Take care of yourself, seek the guidance you need, and remember that setbacks don't define your capabilities or future success.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending