The Student Room Group

Which law school is the best option out of these?

If you were to rank these based upon reputation and graduate prospects, which would be the better options?
York, Manchester, Birmingham, Lancaster, Liverpool and Leicester.
I know about the league table rankings but want to know about the how law firms will see them.
PS.
I do know about the PBL system of York and I quite like the idea of it.
Thanks
Reply 1
I would say you’ve effectively already ranked them, give or take.

York and Manchester are good, Birmingham a bit behind and the rest I’d say are alright.
Original post by Arisapo
York and Manchester are good, Birmingham a bit behind and the rest I’d say are alright.

Tbh, a rather meaningless observation. Do you mean in how law firms will view 'em? (They'd view them all about the same.) Do you mean in academic quality? (Then I don't know how Manc had the edge on Brum.) Grad prospects? (We going off the 6 month post grad thing, when someone's found a job in a lowly estate agents?)
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
Tbh, a rather meaningless observation. Do you mean in how law firms will view 'em? (They'd view them all about the same.) Do you mean in academic quality? (Then I don't know how Manc had the edge on Brum.) Grad prospects? (We going off the 6 month post grad thing, when someone's found a job in a lowly estate agents?)

Meh, it probably was meaningless, was just going off instincts and things I've heard, although mainly how law firms would view them.

I mean, I know rankings are generally sh*t, but you really think York would be of a similar calibre to Leicester in the eyes of law firms and prospects?
Original post by Arisapo
Meh, it probably was meaningless, was just going off instincts and things I've heard, although mainly how law firms would view them.

I mean, I know rankings are generally sh*t, but you really think York would be of a similar calibre to Leicester in the eyes of law firms and prospects?

Your thinking is based on the idea there's a rep hierarchy and everyone is trying to going to the uni with the highest rep possible. So if Billy Bob has an offer from Bristol, he ain't going to go to firm Newcastle.

The problem with this is it does not take into account people's real-life demands. Perhaps a student needs to be locally tied, or they prefer a campus/city over another or they got a nice scholarship. Law firms cannot easily establish "rep" and they're wise enough to know that people choose unis for a host of reasons.
Reply 5
Your thinking is based on the idea there's a rep hierarchy and everyone is trying to going to the uni with the highest rep possible. So if Billy Bob has an offer from Bristol, he ain't going to go to firm Newcastle.

The problem with this is it does not take into account people's real-life demands. Perhaps a student needs to be locally tied, or they prefer a campus/city over another or they got a nice scholarship. Law firms cannot easily establish "rep" and they're wise enough to know that people choose unis for a host of reasons.

Very true. I mean I know there's not an official rep hierarchy and a list of unis that firms take and some they don't.

I mean in theory, someone could go to Southampton Solent and get an offer from a top firm.

That's why I'd always advise people to go off the "feel" of a place and gut instinct and I have become rapidly annoyed over people asking if they should go to Durham or KCL say based on which one has a better rep. They're completely different!

The students on my course can't fathom why I have zero interest in MC/City firms. They should be grateful that I'm tied to the North West and enjoy having one less person to compete with haha!
Hardly, I'm just old and have commitments

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending