The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds VS Birmingham VS Sheffield

Hi everyone,

This is Yoyo from Macau I've received offers from Birmingham, Leeds and Birmingham for BA Education Studies and I'm deciding between them. Since I'm an international student, I don't have the chance to actually walk around the campuses. I'd like to stay in a green, spacious, natural campus. Are the classrooms of Leeds modern? Which uni has the best accommodation? Which city is more safe and friendly? Which uni has a better reputation and higher quality of teaching in this field? I'd appreciate if someone is willing to help me out. Big thanks and good luck :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by hinsyo
Hi everyone,

This is Yoyo from Macau I've received offers from Birmingham, Leeds and Birmingham for BA Education Studies and I'm deciding between them. Since I'm an international student, I don't have the chance to actually walk around the campuses. I'd like to stay in a green, spacious, natural campus. Are the classrooms of Leeds modern? Which uni has the best accommodation? Which city is more safe and friendly? Which uni has a better reputation and higher quality of teaching in this field? I'd appreciate if someone is willing to help me out. Big thanks and good luck :smile:

If you want green spaces, then Birmingham will offer this to some extent, and not the others. Reputation wise they are all at about the same level, although for your subject I have no idea.
For Education, in Guardian League Table for these 3 universities Birmingham is 19th, Sheffield is 26th and Sheffield is 65th, which is a big difference I think. The Complete University Guide puts Birmingham for 5th, Sheffield 28th and Leeds 32th.
Overall, I don't know how important are the league tables for you, but still a factor to consider. About the community and other stuff, I can't say anything because I'm also an international student and only applied to Leeds but for a totally different course.
Original post by AnnaMirjam
For Education, in Guardian League Table for these 3 universities Birmingham is 19th, Sheffield is 26th and Sheffield is 65th, which is a big difference I think. The Complete University Guide puts Birmingham for 5th, Sheffield 28th and Leeds 32th.
Overall, I don't know how important are the league tables for you, but still a factor to consider. About the community and other stuff, I can't say anything because I'm also an international student and only applied to Leeds but for a totally different course.

The subject tables are a very poor method for assessing the quality of a course.
Original post by StarLinyx
If you want green spaces, then Birmingham will offer this to some extent, and not the others. Reputation wise they are all at about the same level, although for your subject I have no idea.

Sheffield is often called the green city and there's three parks in the campus area plus a few other green areas inside the university area. The student villages are in very green areas and right next to the botanical gardens. And there's also a few hourly buses which go from campus and the uni region into the peak District. If Birmingham is significantly ahead on that then the entire campus must be a garden.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Sheffield is often called the green city and there's three parks in the campus area plus a few other green areas inside the university area. The student villages are in very green areas and right next to the botanical gardens. And there's also a few hourly buses which go from campus and the uni region into the peak District. If Birmingham is significantly ahead on that then the entire campus must be a garden.

I can only speak for the campus green areas.

Quick Reply

Latest