The Student Room Group

Revision

What are the most effective revision techniques?
Mind maps usually help, create a mind map upon a topic and stick it up on you’re wall so you walk past it everyday and can keep recalling the information by seeing it, while you’re creating the mind map it also allows you to recall the information because you’re writing it.

I also find doing past exam papers, getting someone else to mark it and then going through to see you’re mistakes and work from there, this will then give you the ideas of the topics to do on your mind map. After a few weeks do the same paper again and see if you get a higher mark.

Hope this helps and feel free to reply.
Depends on the subject. You have to be more specific I'm afraid but normally past papers, looking at the specification directly and making brief notes with cue cards is what I would do for a history.

There is a wide scope on revising. I occasionally use YouTube and affiliated sites to my course, I also use Get Revising to condense down my notes and then I make essay plans by finding questions specific to each section of my specification to ensure I am able to apply my knowledge. This is my example for a humanities based subject.

For a subject like Maths, I'm currently improving my revision techniques, so I would suggest past papers, topic papers, cue cards for formulas and just constantly practising tbh. Use YouTube to find a real answer for a method as some can be seriously hard to just read and apply. Asides that you could use a checklist and ensure you cover the broader topics. Normally checking the examiner report is really good for humanities and even Maths as you can spot mistakes etc. Math techniques i suggested can apply to Science

Therefore, without any real indication I've given a broader view but if any of the above is helpful that's good and if not, suggest the type of subjects you're doing and it'll help. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest