The Student Room Group

Do you guys think British Television has gotten worse?

Excluding Netflix and Online Streaming, if you were to go on your TV Guide (If you still own a TV) now and look at whats on and the rest of the week, would you say there's really anything on their that grabs your interest? And American Imports nor reruns of shows that have ended don't count, lets make it fair.
(edited 5 years ago)
not reallyyyy i only ever watch netflix and youtube tbh the last time i've watched tv was when........:confused:
Original post by Popsiclez
Excluding Netflix and Online Streaming, if you were to go on your TV Guide (If you still own a TV) now and look at whats on and the rest of the week, would you say there's really anything on their that grabs your interest? And American Imports nor reruns of shows that have ended don't count, lets make it fair.
I think that when Greg Dyke ruined ITV and then the BBC that was the era when things got worse. Hasn't changed much over the last 5 years, apart from some good drama, and the BBC showing the disgraceful transphobic rubbish called Mrs Brown's Boys.
omd every time that i hear about that show my blood boils what a crappy tv show
Original post by barnetlad
I think that when Greg Dyke ruined ITV and then the BBC that was the era when things got worse. Hasn't changed much over the last 5 years, apart from some good drama, and the BBC showing the disgraceful transphobic rubbish called Mrs Brown's Boys.
no but maybe i'm too fussy:lol: i think the last thing i watched on like freeview telly was a comedy-drama called there she goes. taskmaster will be coming to dave next month and i'll definitely be watching that. other than that, no; it's been crap for a while now. some good stuff pops up from time to time like bodyguard. go-to is always netflix now.
University Challenge is still going strong :h:

and the Boat Race

( once a year :emo: )
Is Tom & Jerry still on?
Reply 7
Original post by Notoriety
Is Tom & Jerry still on?

e.e that bad is it desperate time calls for desperate measures
Clearly someone can't take a fecking joke hehehehe
Original post by barnetlad
Generally still better than US TV for me, so they're doing something right still!
I think one issue is that quite a few stuff is repeated a lot.
Yeah I used to watch Eastenders religiously years ago but it’s so dead now
To an extent, one could argue to the point. No doubt that Netflix exclusives and whatnot have had an impact. The problem is that, much like music, we look at past Television with rose-tinted glasses. Most of the old stuff people know about is the good stuff, the stuff that deserved to live on. Today, we've got the good and the bad, the good stuff will live on and the bad stuff will be forgotten.

In short? Is it worse? Purely television, it's possible, mainly due to online streaming exclusives that may have otherwise been released on TV (I.E The Grand Tour). If we were to include streaming, I'd imagine it's simply just a case of rose-tinted glasses when looking at shows from the past.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Generally still better than US TV for me, so they're doing something right still!

My main gripe with US TV is that adverts seem much more frequent. To top it off it's usually the same long ass, boring adverts about medicines.

Quick Reply

Latest