The Student Room Group

Retaking A levels

Has anyone here retaken A Levels and if so can you share your experience on what it was like, some of the nitty gritty details and what the outcome was?
In the same position as you so any responses would be good guys!
And also where did you people retake your a levels?
Original post by pigeonwarrior
And also where did you people retake your a levels?

A Levels can be retaken at any college or exam centre regardless whether you studied there or not. You will have to to pay them so the main thing to look out for is the price of retaking A Levels. At certain places prices can range from £100 - £400+ depending on where you resit them.
Original post by Iaskthequestions
A Levels can be retaken at any college or exam centre regardless whether you studied there or not. You will have to to pay them so the main thing to look out for is the price of retaking A Levels. At certain places prices can range from £100 - £400+ depending on where you resit them.

I just wonder if a university would discriminate against me if I am not resitting with a school?
Original post by pigeonwarrior
I just wonder if a university would discriminate against me if I am not resitting with a school?

No they only care about your grades themselves not where you took your a levels. Some Russel group universities and higher tier universities may take into account that you did have to retake your a levels and may refuse you entry because of this, this only happens sometimes depending on the course.
Has anyone here retaken A Levels and if so can you share your experience on what it was like, some of the nitty gritty details and what the outcome was?

I did. I had A* A* A grades but ****ed up and got BBC in 2022. covid boundaries.

I went in clearing and got into uni, big mistake. Then I retook, AAA predicted got AAB. Underachieved as i was working at A* level for one of the subjects but somehow still ****ed up.

If you ask me, for example if you get ABC but want to retake, don't retake the A especially if that's in a good subject. Focus on the subjects you can retake and get high grades easily. For example for me, i retook some physics modules but did ****, which was a bad decision. I was quite a bit better at mathematics and psychology so I should've resat them and perhaps gotten A*AB or even A*A*B for example.

You need to be realistic with yourself. I wasn't for a while. I should've not been in copium in summer 2022 and instead decided to retake, but that was history. I've ****ed up for that reason, no A*. But depending on circumstances if you get B/C in a levels, you could plausibly retake to A*/A but you need effort.

I retook my A-levels privately. One tutor with some math lessons. Most unis are ok with retakes including some strong unis like Manchester, Glasgow, KCL.

But be realistic - iif your grades were worse than expected, you're probably worse than you think, at least by a little.
And when retaking, look at grade boundaries. Also, some A-levels have modules so resit the modules you have best chance at getting the highest grades in.
Original post by justlearning1469
I did. I had A* A* A grades but ****ed up and got BBC in 2022. covid boundaries.

I went in clearing and got into uni, big mistake. Then I retook, AAA predicted got AAB. Underachieved as i was working at A* level for one of the subjects but somehow still ****ed up.

If you ask me, for example if you get ABC but want to retake, don't retake the A especially if that's in a good subject. Focus on the subjects you can retake and get high grades easily. For example for me, i retook some physics modules but did ****, which was a bad decision. I was quite a bit better at mathematics and psychology so I should've resat them and perhaps gotten A*AB or even A*A*B for example.

You need to be realistic with yourself. I wasn't for a while. I should've not been in copium in summer 2022 and instead decided to retake, but that was history. I've ****ed up for that reason, no A*. But depending on circumstances if you get B/C in a levels, you could plausibly retake to A*/A but you need effort.

I retook my A-levels privately. One tutor with some math lessons. Most unis are ok with retakes including some strong unis like Manchester, Glasgow, KCL.

But be realistic - iif your grades were worse than expected, you're probably worse than you think, at least by a little.
And when retaking, look at grade boundaries. Also, some A-leIf vels have modules so resit the modules you have best chance at getting the highest grades in.

If you wish to retake and need a predicted grade how do you get a predicted grade, if it is from your college how do you whether they will give a high or a low one?
If you wish to retake and need a predicted grade how do you get a predicted grade, if it is from your college how do you whether they will give a high or a low one?

for me it was someone who taught me (so a tutor). In 2022 the "tutor" didn't teach much, just a little, and just handed out the predicted based on that info. i didn't really do much. in 2023 there was more info and aactual teaching me more but still, not exactly that rigorous.

Ig they could give you tests and maybe some negotiation, if you do well enough ig you get a high predicted?

Quick Reply

Latest