The Student Room Group

uni or apprenticeship

Recently my dad has been sending my links about apprenticeships for me to think about. He's always said he would rather want me going to uni rather than doing an apprenticeships but idk whats suddenly made him seem them as equal. A guy from his work did an apprentiship and he nearly didnt get a job at the end of it which makes me scared the most.

If I do an appretiship, does it limit the chances of me finding a stable, well paid job compared fi I went to uni? Having stability at a good job is quite important to me as im sure it is to everyone else but my school and stories i've heard just makes it sound like doing an apprenticeships is way worse than a degress.
If i was choosing a degree, I would be doing computer science with business management and i've already gotten offers from 4/5 unis - my top one included.
idk what to think abt the whole situation. I dont want to regret my decision and end up in a bad financial position.
Hi,

You have to be really passionate about one more than the other, otherwise why would you go for it right?
Because of family pressure, yeah might be okay short term, but long term you are going to be in this.
So ultimately you have to make the decision.

Write down a list of pros and cons for University and Apprenticeships to help you deicide.
I do have to add that you should be passionate about one more than the other as this will support you to keep going.

Talk to you careers team at college/ sixth form to help you, as well as discussing your own decision with your parents.
Great to hear you have got offers from 4/5 universities as not many do.
I got 2 offers (lololol), but I was dead set on wanting to do a certain course at University as a I really enjoyed the subject.

Hope all goes well,
Best Wishes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending