The Student Room Group

Chemistry SKE Vidlearn

Hello all.

I'm 2 months in to my SKE. I've been advised to drop down to GCSE level study modules as the A-Level ones are too difficult. Tutors are not helpful as they want specific questions asked to them. Nothing seems to sink in using the resources.

Has anyone done this course/ experienced the above? I'm unemployed at the moment so time is not an issue. Using time effectively and making a timetable is proving hard given my current situation.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
Original post by teachfes123
Hello all.

I'm 2 months in to my SKE. I've been advised to drop down to GCSE level study modules as the A-Level ones are too difficult. Tutors are not helpful as they want specific questions asked to them. Nothing seems to sink in using the resources.

Has anyone done this course/ experienced the above? I'm unemployed at the moment so time is not an issue. Using time effectively and making a timetable is proving hard given my current situation.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi

I did a biology SKE at A-level last year, so hopefully I can help a bit.

Firstly, have you checked if dropping down to the GCSE modules will be acceptable to your uni? This needs to be your first port of call, as it's no use doing the SKE if the end result isn't acceptable to the university.

What resources do you currently use? I personally didn't find the video lectures great and mostly used the A-level textbook, but I did have quite a good level of baseline knowledge and I was able to access the textbook easily.

Have you received detailed feedback on your assignments/where you are going wrong? If not, I would ask for this first. It may also be worth asking to see some examples of assignments that are strong passes!

I do agree that the tutors aren't really there to teach you the content- but it's certainly worth emailing them for clarification on any points you don't get.

Here's how I would try to manage your time:
-Watch a video lecture. Make notes. Pause and rewatch sections if you need to.
-Read the relevant sections in the textbook and make notes.
-If there are any areas you're struggling with, email the tutor about these.
-Once you've done this for all the videos within a topic, plan your assignment. Think about a logical progression between concepts and the information you want to include.
-Make the assignment.
-Do the other stuff you need to do (don't forget you can use your notes for the knowledge test).

I hope this helps.

If you can explain what you're struggling with in more detail, I can try to give you some more specific advice.
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice. I haven't attempted an assignment as yet its due end of May. I am using a revision guide as the textbook isn't helpful.

The video lectures don't offer any simple explanations of the topics and I have exhausted all my efforts in finding useful YouTube videos.

I have watched many times over and made notes on all the Tyler Dewitt chemistry videos which are excellent. I'm stuck in a rut with no schedule or plan. The areas I need help with cover more than the allotted hour of their time, therefore they can't help with everything I am struggling with.

I will use your advice and try again.

Its like trying to climb a mountain and slipping back to the beginning after a few hard steps up the incline!
Original post by teachfes123
Thanks for your advice. I haven't attempted an assignment as yet its due end of May. I am using a revision guide as the textbook isn't helpful.

The video lectures don't offer any simple explanations of the topics and I have exhausted all my efforts in finding useful YouTube videos.

I have watched many times over and made notes on all the Tyler Dewitt chemistry videos which are excellent. I'm stuck in a rut with no schedule or plan. The areas I need help with cover more than the allotted hour of their time, therefore they can't help with everything I am struggling with.

I will use your advice and try again.

Its like trying to climb a mountain and slipping back to the beginning after a few hard steps up the incline!

To be honest, you don't need a perfect understanding of everything to pass. If you've watched all the videos and attempted all the content, then it might be worth having a go at the assignment. I found trying to write explanations helped clarify a lot of ideas for me. It might also highlight the areas you are really struggling with.

You might surprise yourself!
Reply 4
Thanks. I'll give the assignment a go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending