The Student Room Group

When you combust something, is it being burnt or burned??

^^^
Both are perfectly fine. 'Burnt' is more typical in British English, and 'burned' is more common in American English.
Reply 2
Original post by foxstudy
^^^

I would tend to use burned for the action and burnt for the result.
"I can't believe you burned my pasta!"
"Do you like burnt toast?"

In practice I probably use them pretty interchangeably though or just do whatever my spell check tells me to.
(edited 5 years ago)
I use 'burnt', because I'm English. I think 'burned' is more common in American English.
This is not a chemistry question; it is an English question.

Both 'burned' and' burnt' are perfectly correct past participles, and the past tense, of the verb 'to burn'. However, you will never see 'burnt' used when the burning relates to emotion rather than chemical conflagration, and 'burned' is more likely to be used by an American.

Thus, I burned with anger; I burnt the toast; I burned my papers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
This is not a chemistry question; it is an English question.

Both 'burned' and' burnt' are perfectly correct past participles, and the past tense, of the verb 'to burn'. However, you will never see 'burnt' used when the burning relates to emotion rather than chemical conflagration, and 'burned' is more likely to be used by an American.

Thus, I burned with anger; I burnt the toast; I burned my papers.

Sorry I was studying the standard enthalpy of combustion and forgot to mention it in the description :colondollar:
Original post by foxstudy
Sorry I was studying the standard enthalpy of combustion and forgot to mention it in the description :colondollar:

That is irrelevant.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
That is irrelevant.

My bad. Thanks for the help anyways!

Quick Reply

Latest