The Student Room Group

ScotQuals Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

so i'm in a bit of a dilemma,

one of my exams have went really bad and I know I have definitely got a C in that exam. however the whole year I have been doing well in this subject I was 2% of an A in my 2nd prelim, which I honestly never studied for due to having assignment write ups that week. I also have an average of 91% in class tests.
I completely panicked on the day of the exam and wrote the questions in the wrong boxes, so had to re-write them at the back so it would make more sense to my marker. in doing so I lost so much time, and was unable to answer the big questions at the end, which have cost me many marks. this had a knock on effect on my 2nd paper, which also didn't go well due to me panicking and worrying so much. the paper itself was not too difficult and I know I could have gotten a better mark , however my frame of mind after I messed up the first section in paper 1 had a huge impact on my performance for the rest of the exam.
the thing is, I cant re-sit the exam as the uni course I want to apply for wants the expected grades in one sitting.

I don't know what to do now, I have heard you can appeal for your grades after results day, however I doubt my mark would be brought up to even a B, as they only increase your mark by one or two bands maximum? or so I have read..

I have tried so hard throughout the year, and I know I have the capability to get much better marks. im really stressing now, and cant concentrate on my other exams this exam was so important, might be far sketched thinking, but do the SQA under certain circumstances let you resit the exam with a completely new paper at the same level of toughness, before results day, before this years exam diet ends? or does anyone know what I can do next.
any help would be really appreciated..
Original post by pineapplepink
prioritising English rn and I'm not taking any breaks😂

Sounds like a good plan to prioritise English (if I remember right, you're doing chemistry this week as well?), though (for me at least) was never the most enjoyable thing to study :colondollar: Hope you're taking at least some breaks between revising :redface:

Original post by sbneelu
I'm focusing on Higher Chemistry. I'll probably have to work on it non-stop all week to get the grade I want so I'm not taking a break but my last exam this year is Higher Physics on the 15th so I relax for a bit after that.

Guessing chemistry is one you're worried about?
That's quite good that you'll get some decent time off once they're done (assuming you're on study leave?). Make sure you do take some time off though, even if you want to work in the morning and afternoon then do something else in the evening, or something like that :smile:
yeah doing chemistry too but I feel that I need to revise English the most seeing as there's no way to know what questions are going to come up so I need to have a good grasp of the novel and the poetry we've been studying
feel like I'll be ok for chemistry if I continue with past paper questions
Original post by Labrador99
Sounds like a good plan to prioritise English (if I remember right, you're doing chemistry this week as well?), though (for me at least) was never the most enjoyable thing to study :colondollar: Hope you're taking at least some breaks between revising :redface:

Original post by Brooke6468
so i'm in a bit of a dilemma,

one of my exams have went really bad and I know I have definitely got a C in that exam. however the whole year I have been doing well in this subject I was 2% of an A in my 2nd prelim, which I honestly never studied for due to having assignment write ups that week. I also have an average of 91% in class tests.
I completely panicked on the day of the exam and wrote the questions in the wrong boxes, so had to re-write them at the back so it would make more sense to my marker. in doing so I lost so much time, and was unable to answer the big questions at the end, which have cost me many marks. this had a knock on effect on my 2nd paper, which also didn't go well due to me panicking and worrying so much. the paper itself was not too difficult and I know I could have gotten a better mark , however my frame of mind after I messed up the first section in paper 1 had a huge impact on my performance for the rest of the exam.
the thing is, I cant re-sit the exam as the uni course I want to apply for wants the expected grades in one sitting.

I don't know what to do now, I have heard you can appeal for your grades after results day, however I doubt my mark would be brought up to even a B, as they only increase your mark by one or two bands maximum? or so I have read..

I have tried so hard throughout the year, and I know I have the capability to get much better marks. im really stressing now, and cant concentrate on my other exams this exam was so important, might be far sketched thinking, but do the SQA under certain circumstances let you resit the exam with a completely new paper at the same level of toughness, before results day, before this years exam diet ends? or does anyone know what I can do next.
any help would be really appreciated..

:wavey:

Sorry to hear that your exam didn't go as well as you wanted :console: I know this won't be the answer you want to hear but from what you've said there aren't any extenuating circumstances, so there isn't really anything you can do at this stage. There isn't an appeals service for SQA exams (this was changed about 5 years ago) and there isn't another opportunity to resit the exam unless you do it again next year. There is an opportunity to get exam papers remarked after results, but this is a case of them marking it again to check that the first marker marked and added it up correctly, rather than taking into account any circumstances. If you don't mind me asking, what is the course that you want to do at uni, and what exam was this? No matter what it is, there will be other routes to pursuing the course that you want.

Although it's easier said than done, the best thing you can do now is learn from the experience and concentrate on your remaining exams. We don't know what the grade boundaries will be yet for the exams, so you might be surprised on results day. The best thing you can do for yourself at the minute is to give your remaining exams your all and give yourself the best chance of success, as even if the grade in that exam isn't what you want, a great set of grades otherwise will show how capable you are and that it really was just a one off.
Do our results come in the mail automatically or do we need to sign up for that somewhere? I have asked people in my class and some said you do and some said you don't.
You automatically get your results by post. You can also sign up to get your results by email and text in addition to the certificate by post by signing up at https://www.mysqa.org.uk/cs8/content/secure/my_homepage.jsp. I'm not sure when the deadline for 2019 is but if you miss the deadline you'll still get results by post.
Original post by SchuylerSister22
Do our results come in the mail automatically or do we need to sign up for that somewhere? I have asked people in my class and some said you do and some said you don't.
(edited 4 years ago)
okay thank you so much
Original post by sbneelu
You automatically get your results by post. You can also sign up to get your results by email and text in addition to the certificate by post by signing up at https://www.mysqa.org.uk/cs8/content/secure/my_homepage.jsp. I'm not sure when the deadline for 2019 is but if you miss the deadline you'll still get results by post.
Hello everyone just with a random question: how is everybody feeling about exams?.

I’m doing 3 exams (sadly, rest are nat 4’s which two of them I regret so much and one of them I could of have asked to do nat 5 at the beginning) and I feel nervous about them. But I’m doing in my powers to pass so hopefully I will achieve that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hope that the Spanish, Practical cake craft and Statistics exams go well for everyone doing them tomorrow :smile:
Here's the exam threads for any last minute questions and post exam discussions :smile:
Nat 5 Spanish
Higher Spanish
AH Spanish
AH Statistics
Hope that Higher and Advanced Higher English go well for everyone doing them tomorrow! :smile: Make sure you get a decent rest tonight, and just do your best tomorrow :smile:
Good luck to everyone doing National 5 English and Higher Photography tomorrow! :smile:
Chemistry day tomorrow! Good luck everyone! :smile:

Discussion threads- Nat 5 - Higher - AH
What's everyone planning on doing revision wise this weekend? Anyone lucky enough to be already finished exams? :smile:
I've only got 2 left now so my revision's less intense
got French on Tuesday so primarily focusing on that.

What's everyone planning on doing revision wise this weekend? Anyone lucky enough to be already finished exams? :smile:

I have to do revision for business management and, after this week I’ve got to to Computing and that’s me.
I've got French on Tuesday and Physics on Wednesday left. I'm not too worried about French but I think I'm slightly worried about Physics so I think I'll primarily be focusing on physics for the next few days and just do a paper or two for French.
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello everyone just with a random question: how is everybody feeling about exams?.

I’m doing 3 exams (sadly, rest are nat 4’s which two of them I regret so much and one of them I could of have asked to do nat 5 at the beginning) and I feel nervous about them. But I’m doing in my powers to pass so hopefully I will achieve that.

Hope that exams have been going well for you so far :smile:
Original post by pineapplepink
I've only got 2 left now so my revision's less intense
got French on Tuesday so primarily focusing on that.

Must be a relief to be on the home straight with them! Bonne chance pour les examen de francais!

Spoiler

Original post by Kubsyy
I have to do revision for business management and, after this week I’ve got to to Computing and that’s me.

Sounds like yours were quite well spaced out, hope they go well :smile:

Original post by sbneelu
I've got French on Tuesday and Physics on Wednesday left. I'm not too worried about French but I think I'm slightly worried about Physics so I think I'll primarily be focusing on physics for the next few days and just do a paper or two for French.

Seems like a not great back to back combination, but almost done, you've got this! :rave:
I've only done maths and english so far :frown: 4 more to go!!!
Original post by SchuylerSister22
I've only done maths and english so far :frown: 4 more to go!!!

1/3 of the way there, and it won't be long until you're on the home straight with them! You've got this :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending