The Student Room Group

The STEP 2008 thread

I'm suprised that one of these hasn't been made already, but anyway.....

The purpose of this thread is to provide somewhere for people sitting STEP this year to: stress,share revision techniques,stress,dicuss past questions...or anything to do with stres- STEP :smile:.

I know there are some very good revision/solution threads out there, but I think one like this would be particularly useful.

Owing to recent events

For STEP
Morning exams may not be discussed until 12.00am (GMT) and afternoon exams until 4.30am (GMT)

This is due to the people that make the STEP papers requesting this precaution.

Scroll to see replies

For what it's worth, I agree; the threads we all made last year were incredibly helpful purely because we made them, not because we all read through them.
Good to see a thread up and running!

Allow me to introduce myself. :biggrin: I'm Zak, sitting STEP I and II this June together with AEA Maths.

I'm taking a gap year, planning on applying post A-level to either Oxford or Cambridge as my first choice - Warwick as my second choice.

This thread has actually reminded me I should be doing far more STEP practice. FP3 and M3 are looming ever closer, however...
Reply 3
I'm not taking it (for 1 or 2 years, anyway), but good luck to everyone who is :smile:
Reply 4
Hello :smile:.

I might aswell introduce myself aswell. I'm Charlotte, I currently hold an offer to study Maths at St. Catharines College Cambridge and Warwick is my insurance. For Cambridge I need : AAA and two grade ones in STEP II and III, and for Warwick: AAB and a grade 2 in STEP.
Reply 5
Hi i'm kabir, taking STEP II and III in the summer, as well as AEA :smile: a levels are of course first priority given i'm not going to cambridge, but i'll try hard anyway!
Reply 6
Hi.

I'll be doing STEP II and III.

I have about 6 years of papers left to do, so I suppose I should be looking to do one every couple of days now.
Reply 7
Hi im Rei.. and i'm too dumb to do the STEP papers.. i'm sitting here trying to work my ass of for C3 and some A2 physics **** i've never read before...

:biggrin: Good luck to you all..
Reply 8
I was intending to sit STEP, but have been unable to find anywhere to sit it. I contacted stepmathematics.org months ago and was recommended three test centres, one of which doesn't do STEP, one of which only takes their own candidates and the third who have never done STEP but tried to help me, but in the end they lacked space for me to sit it in :s-smilie:

So, best of luck to all of you who are sitting it:biggrin:
Reply 9
I'm doing II and III this year and did AEA last year. So far this year I've only been practising paper III, but I'll start looking at II again (I was practising those last year) nearer the exam.

Should I look at the Siklos booklet as well?
Zhen Lin
Should I look at the Siklos booklet as well?

The Siklos booklet is basically a collection of STEP I and II questions, with a commentary on each one and then a full guided solution. It's excellent for initial preparation - however, it only covers questions which require no knowledge of Further Maths, and would thus be of only limited use to you anyway. :smile:
Reply 11
I just have one thing to say

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. DFOISDHFOSDFIHSDFP9SD8FHSPDF98SWHDFP[Q8WEHF[QEFHWEFPIUBVASPIFUAVSFPAFDQDPW87RF312789FGPAEU7GFASPFASGVFPAS9sdfsdflsdnbflsdASDFSPDFHSDFPOSDHFA;SFAHSD;FOAISFF8GASF9ASF87GASPF9A78SGFQQFWEFLWEFVQBW;LFQIRG12371FGP23RE7FGQPERQ

This pretty much sums up my feelings about STEP (and I'm only doing I and II).

I always thought I'd be the sort of person who'd be OVERprepared for STEP since I've been aware of it for a very long time and I have more resources than the majority of the candidates. And yet, I've done like no work so far and I can't even devote much time to it thanks to my stupid A-levels.

I'm seriously considering dropping out of STEP II since I want to reapply to university and a U probably won't look that good. I'll see how the STEP I exam goes and then not turn up to the STEP II exam :biggrin:.

Something that really depressed me 2 days ago was that I couldn't even understand the solutions to 3 out of 4 questions I read in the Siklos booklet, let alone try to get them myself.

*Edit*

Hashshashin
Good to see a thread up and running!

Allow me to introduce myself. :biggrin: I'm Zak, sitting STEP I and II this June together with AEA Maths.

I'm taking a gap year, planning on applying post A-level to either Oxford or Cambridge as my first choice - Warwick as my second choice.

This thread has actually reminded me I should be doing far more STEP practice. FP3 and M3 are looming ever closer, however...

Wow, that is almost exactly the same as my situation. I want to apply to Oxford post A-level (and Warwick). I'm also starting to get pretty worried about M3 and FP3 (worst pure maths module ever).
Swayum
I'm seriously considering dropping out of STEP II since I want to reapply to university and a U probably won't look that good. I'll see how the STEP I exam goes and then not turn up to the STEP II exam :biggrin:.

NB: Unlike AEA Maths, I believe you can 'forget' to mention STEP results on your UCAS form, as if I recall correctly it's technically considered an entrance test rather than a public examination.
Reply 13
Hashshashin
NB: Unlike AEA Maths, I believe you can 'forget' to mention STEP results on your UCAS form, as if I recall correctly it's technically considered an entrance test rather than a public examination.

Oh really? That's good. Speaking of AEA, I'm starting to worry about that too since I don't really remember my C2 coordinate geometry (the 2 circle theorems) and radians stuff (area of segment and related). Also, I definitely don't know my C4 vectors (or FP3 for that matter...). In the 2007 AEA, it was in fact a combination of geometry + vectors that cost me a 20 mark question right at the end (leaving me with a nice U). I repeat

asodfiahfdasdofhsdfpsdfhgpf9sd8hfd;ifuhsdpfsdhgfpsdufgsdpfubgsdfpusdbfpsdbfspdfiubsdpfiusadbfpsdifub
Reply 14
Hashshashin

So does this mean if I take STEP in year 12 and screw up, then I don't have to tell anyone?
Hi, I'm Tom. I'm not taking STEP but I'm taking AEA this year, I'm not too worried about it, the AEA seems fine compared to STEP.

When is STEP, I have like another month before I have my AEA exam (score!).
Reply 16
I'm also called Tom. I'm taking II and III this year with the intention of taking a year out (and running my own business for a year) to re-apply to universities. Unless I get a 1,1 or better I wont be applying to Cambridge (applied to do NatSci originally), just Oxford.
I have a place at Warwick this year but I don't want to give up on Oxbridge just yet... :p:
Reply 17
Totally Tom
When is STEP, I have like another month before I have my AEA exam (score!).

Same week. STEP II is, in fact, on the same day as the AEA. Nice 6 hours of exams for me.

*Edit*

v-zero
Unless I get a 1,1 or better I wont be applying to Cambridge (applied to do NatSci originally), just Oxford.
I have a place at Warwick this year but I don't want to give up on Oxbridge just yet... :p:

:ditto: (except S, S since I'm only doing STEP I and STEP II)
Reply 18
STEP I/III is on the 23rd of June

Step II is on 25th.

I still have WAYYY too many papers to get through in that time.

I have about 5 more STEP II papers to look at and at least 15 more STEP III.

Why am I on TSR?
23rd for I/III and 25th for II

And I just found somewhere to sit STEP, so looks like I'll be taking I and II just for kicks:smile:

Latest