The Student Room Group

Gap year in New Zealand help

Hi,

Next year im planning to go travelling in New Zealand by myself, im a bit worried about it as obviously going alone is quite nerve-racking.

So if anyone has any advice on where to go and what kind of places are the safest to stay and things it would be very much appreciated
Reply 1
Don't go on any Tinder dates...
Reply 2
hhaha great advice, does this apply to just New Zealand or anywhere
Original post by Molseh
Don't go on any Tinder dates...
Reply 3
Ehm, it was a joke probably better suited elsewhere.
Moving on...
New Zealand is a pretty safe place to travel and is often done solo. "Backpacking New Zealand" is a great Facebook group for people travelling and there are often people offering spots on rides/trips etc. or selling camping kit. The best bet for travel is to either buy or rent a car or self contained vehicle - although that is better split between two.
Unfortunately I had to cancel my planned trip there, but it is definitely top of my list of places to go solo travelling before I get too old.

Original post by mialcurtis
hhaha great advice, does this apply to just New Zealand or anywhere
I possibly bought a 'fake student ID' in a seedy bar in Thailand, it might have allowed me big discounts on travel all across Australia, but in NZ. nope, I'm sure it wouldn't have worked! (So take any real youth ID that you have) I rented a car, was allowed to go anywhere except one particular road on South Island. er...I eventually found myself on this road, sorry car rental company. It wasn't eaten by intelligent parrots, but I did meet these whilst staying in camping huts on South Island. Spoke French for two weeks after I picked up une Parisienne hitchhiking near Queenstown.

On the whole, I think I would've preferred to spend a year in Aus, with some of that as months in NZ, as opposed to the opposite. Aus was great, nothing tried to poison me, there was too much sunshine, but some part time work available.

listen to RNZ National program as an iPhone Android app, to get a feeling for their news. Try also Aus JJJ radio station. enjoy!
New Zealand is such an amazing destination you will love it. You shouldn't have too many problems meeting people - stay in hostels, book activities and tours etc. New Zealand is also very safe! These links might be useful:
New Zealand gap year travel ideas
Best hostels in New Zealand
Queenstown is spectacular, I preferred the south island to the north but both are stunning!
Original post by fasteddy
New Zealand is also very safe!

I almost completely agree with fastEddy, except (as I have family in Aotearoa) , one of the only dangers in the islands is that the bush is so wild, that kids can and do, go missing for ever, after just stepping into the bush for a few metres. disorientation, and beautiful wilderness, so that's what worries the NZ parents the most, I guess. (not the fact that NZ kids can drive at age 15!)

Quick Reply

Latest