The Student Room Group

Is Philosophy a respected degree?

As above
Reply 1
There's a teacher in my school who finished his philosophy degree or something and we all call him "dr" instead of "Mr" now and he's going to start working as a lecturer too so I guess it is a respected degree...we all definitely have more respect for him now 😂
Yes
Reply 3
Yes.

And moved to the Philosophy forum :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zabidoo
There's a teacher in my school who finished his philosophy degree or something and we all call him "dr" instead of "Mr" now and he's going to start working as a lecturer too so I guess it is a respected degree...we all definitely have more respect for him now 😂

Are you sure he's not a "Doctor of Philosophy"? This can be awarded for any subject not just philosophy and allows the holder to be styled a Dr...
Original post by Anonymous
As above

I would say Yes, but Philosophy students will have to put up with the usual inane comments about how they need to prepare themselves for a lifetime of unemployment just because they're not doing a vocational degree. They won't be alone in this - the same comment will be made to every student of English, History, Psychology and Sociology (to name just a few) yet people will still say it as if they are making some insightful and original comment.
Reply 6
Original post by Doones
Are you sure he's not a "Doctor of Philosophy"? This can be awarded for any subject not just philosophy and allows the holder to be styled a Dr...

No he did philosophy...that's what he's going to teach when he starts lecturing at universitys

He's given us a few lessons on philosophy too...like "what is truth" etc
I would say so. :u:
Reply 8
Original post by Zabidoo
No he did philosophy...that's what he's going to teach when he starts lecturing at universitys

He's given us a few lessons on philosophy too...like "what is truth" etc

Cool. And does he have a PhD?
Reply 9
Original post by Doones
Cool. And does he have a PhD?

Yeh that's what it's called...I cudnt remember
Reply 10
Original post by Zabidoo

That's why he's a Dr. then :biggrin:
Original post by Zabidoo