The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Well firstly, there's no need to attend the Vice-Chancellor's Speech. Save yourself a bit of time there.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
don't buy the freshers pass card because its not financially worth it unless you attend every single event in which case you save about 3 quid. basically is my advice, make sure you go to freshesr ball cos its a laugh. and have a good time. go to the freshers fairs in the union and mix with an infinite number of people.
Reply 3
Don't expect to go to the laundrette at rootes and use the change machine. It's always out of order and even if you have the right change the chances are the washer won't like one of your pound coins.

The barclays cash machines are the fastest.

If you live somewhere that gets cleaned everyday, always put the no cleaning sign on the door before you hit top b on monday. There's nothing worse than being disturbed. If you have to get up, ignore the cleaner at all costs when she finds out what you did the kitchen the night before.

Don't expect to find a seat in the library near exams after 10am.

Ignore locals.

Go off campus if you want a 'cheap' drink.

Befriend someone clever on your course.

Don't wear white at top b.

Since the union won't be that active for you guys, go explore! But you should make sure to get into leam or cov pretty early on so you get to know your way around, especially if you plan to get the train home one weekend.

To get to coventry station, you need to jump on the 12 bus and get off after king henry VIII school.

If you go to score with a sports team... Have fun :smile:
The uni isn't in Warwick :p:
good list zrancis,

try to get actively involved in at least one society (wicked way to meet new people with similar interests)

check out lava ignite, coventry- on a wednesday night especially

get an eating card, i could have saved a few bob this year

think carefully about who your going to live with in your 2nd year, many people rush to find places towards the end of term 1 and by term 3 have a completely different set of close friends

get on good terms with your cleaners (she's let me get away with loads this year!)

dont take it too seriously (work wise) in the first 2 terms

and for the girls...be wary of charming 2nd year guys who are already talking about "finding some fit freshers", your smarter than that :smile:

finally, have fun..its an amazing university with a world of opportunities.
Reply 6
veni, vidi, vici

and for the girls...be wary of charming 2nd year guys who are already talking about "finding some fit freshers", your smarter than that :smile:

Don't forget finalists, I'm ready to get some fresher action next year too!
Reply 7
and for the girls...be wary of charming 2nd year guys who are already talking about "finding some fit freshers", your smarter than that

You'll be swamping with sharks for the first few weeks. Unless you really want to, ignore them.
It goes for any fresher really, but leave your door open at all times during the first few weeks at least, or you won't make any friends.

The Fresher's ball was the biggest waste of money I've ever seen - It was exactly the same as any other night in the union except they have some rubbish live music.
If everyone is going out from your flat, you might want to go with them anyway, but don't expect it to be good.

Go out as much as you can in the first couple of weeks - talk to as many people as you can when you are out. It's so easy to make friends during Freshers, but if you try after this you'll just get some funny looks. Don't waste your time, get to know as many people as possible, or you will regret it.

The 'Second Hand Book Fair' is rubbish, they never have any books. Don't even bother.
Reply 9
Which accommodation is cleaned then? I wasn't aware any of them were!
Reply 10
zrancis
Don't expect to go to the laundrette at rootes and use the change machine. It's always out of order and even if you have the right change the chances are the washer won't like one of your pound coins.

The barclays cash machines are the fastest.

If you live somewhere that gets cleaned everyday, always put the no cleaning sign on the door before you hit top b on monday. There's nothing worse than being disturbed. If you have to get up, ignore the cleaner at all costs when she finds out what you did the kitchen the night before.

Don't expect to find a seat in the library near exams after 10am.

Ignore locals.

Go off campus if you want a 'cheap' drink.

Befriend someone clever on your course.

Don't wear white at top b.

Since the union won't be that active for you guys, go explore! But you should make sure to get into leam or cov pretty early on so you get to know your way around, especially if you plan to get the train home one weekend.

To get to coventry station, you need to jump on the 12 bus and get off after king henry VIII school.

If you go to score with a sports team... Have fun :smile:

lol!

I take the sports teams are pretty jovial then?

with regards to the union, is it going to be really bad for the 08 intake?
probably :smile: the planned tent in the field could be really cool or it could suck ass. i doubt it would suck ass because thats not what the union would want. the union beuilding itself is **** so anything is better IMO...
Reply 12
andy_cole2
probably :smile: the planned tent in the field could be really cool or it could suck ass. i doubt it would suck ass because thats not what the union would want. the union beuilding itself is **** so anything is better IMO...

oh :s-smilie: , is it like a large marquee?
Reply 13
Walrus Rider

The 'Second Hand Book Fair' is rubbish, they never have any books. Don't even bother.

Was alright in my first year when it was in the Marketplace, I didn't go this year though was told it was crap as it was in Union North and took literally an hour to get in or something. Still, I made £50 from it without turning up, so I don't care...
Reply 14
From the Warwick Freshers' Group on Facebook (both are worth joining):

"hey guys - my name's James, i'm one of the guys that runs the Union this year.

Just echoing what Sam said really, whilst things are going to be a bit different you'll still be having all the fun that freshers get every year here at Warwick.

For the Freshers Festival we're going to have a massive 2000 capacity Temporary Events Structure (seriously this thing is BIG) which will be used for all the normal freshers activities, including club nights, live gigs, Top Banana (our legendary £1 in, £1 a drink night) and all the sports fairs, society fairs and trade fairs which make Freshers what it is.

As Sam has mentioned before this year the University have added intr08 which will cover every aspect of University life from cooking to writing essays so i actually reckon this year's freshers is going to be the best ever...

For the rest of the year we're going to be running all our events and whilst the downstairs club is only to hold 600 the full Union will hold 1200"
Reply 15
smooth3k
From the Warwick Freshers' Group on Facebook (both are worth joining):

"hey guys - my name's James, i'm one of the guys that runs the Union this year.

Just echoing what Sam said really, whilst things are going to be a bit different you'll still be having all the fun that freshers get every year here at Warwick.

For the Freshers Festival we're going to have a massive 2000 capacity Temporary Events Structure (seriously this thing is BIG) which will be used for all the normal freshers activities, including club nights, live gigs, Top Banana (our legendary £1 in, £1 a drink night) and all the sports fairs, society fairs and trade fairs which make Freshers what it is.

As Sam has mentioned before this year the University have added intr08 which will cover every aspect of University life from cooking to writing essays so i actually reckon this year's freshers is going to be the best ever...

For the rest of the year we're going to be running all our events and whilst the downstairs club is only to hold 600 the full Union will hold 1200"

ooh goody!
Oh that sounds quite good! will it be there for the rest of the year? or is it just for freshers week? Cos isnt the downstairs / the rest of the union being knocked down in stages? so it will only hold like 400 people or something.. eek i hope its not ****!
Reply 17
Matchbox123
Oh that sounds quite good! will it be there for the rest of the year? or is it just for freshers week? Cos isnt the downstairs / the rest of the union being knocked down in stages? so it will only hold like 400 people or something.. eek i hope its not ****!

Here's what 'Sam' said :smile:

"With regards to the Union Rebuild, for those that aren't aware, the Union building is undergoing an £11million Rebuild and Renovation operation to make it the biggest and best Students Union building in the UK, unfortunately the work will be going on during your first year. However, that is not to say it will just be closed! They are doing it in two stages, and between September 08 and Spring 09 the building will still be operating an approx 600 capacity night club (still bigger than most Students Unions) and the usual great events, as well as some new ones, before the main new 3-storey club is opened at the back of the building in Spring 09"
Reply 18
Matchbox123

just have to get there early then :cool:
the book fair is immense if you get there at a ecent time, otherwise it can be really crappy. i got my books there an i'll be selling them again next year. i on't think you reall ynee to buy them because you can get them all at the library anyway....

Latest