The Student Room Group

What Society's should I join I university?

which is the best?
what's it like?
what types of societies are there?
which is best for law networking or making friends in general?
Reply 1
societies are places where you find likeminded people to you. You're not put into halls with people who are necessarily into the same things as you (apart from Warwick apparently), so it is up to you to seek out those people yourself most of the time (you may get lucky but in a lot of cases none of you will even be doing remotely the same course). That isn't to say that you won't make any friends in halls, I have loads from there, but they may not have the same interests as you all of the time!

So to start out, look at all the societies that your university offers (or if you still haven't chosen, have a look at a variety of unis!). Pick one you'd like to do for fun (as in, a break from studying haha), something that can boost your CV (student newspaper is a really good one), the society for your course (most have them!) and ones that align with your hobbies, including any sports you enjoy. Normally unis won't have any classes scheduled one afternoon so that you have time for these things, and some have events that run in the evening when no teaching is done either. Also, if you're not doing a law undergrad, you can still sign up for law societies - in fact lots of members in law societies aren't law students anyway - but they are really good for networking. I'd also look at model UN, debating/public speaking, TEDx etc. Just make sure that you pick at one for fun if you're picking some for studies/future career!

Also, remember to check out the freshers fair for your uni - and check out ALL the different areas, from sports to politics to culture-based societies. You can talk to people from those societies and really get to know what the people who run the society are like. Many will also offer free sessions or events to start, so you can see whether it's for you or not. So the best way to find out what really suits you is to go there and start talking to some people!

best of luck :smile:
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
which is the best?
what's it like?

Hi @ScoobyZazzy

It's great to hear from you! Societies are a great way to enhance your university experience and, because there are so many to choose from, you're bound to find a few that you're really interested in. There is no such thing as the 'best' society because they all offer different things, and it's entirely personal opinion for what would make one society better than another.

Depending on the society, they might have weekly meetings (eg Model United Nations or creative writing society). Others, like subject based societies, will revolve more around socials, often both alcohol and non-alcohol based activities to include everyone. Sports societies will tend to train at least once a week, with an option for getting involved in competing if that interests you, and will have regular socials. Charity based societies might meet less regularly/frequently.

The majority of societies are either free or very low in price, making them very accessible, and there is no limit (except time) for how many you can join. You are not obligated to go to every single session in most cases, so they are also very flexible (if, for example, you have less time one week, you can skip them). Any society, regardless of what it is, is great for making friends, especially if you arrive a few minutes early to get chatting to other people!

Ultimately, the best thing to do is to look at the societies your university offers, go to the freshers fair and get a feel of what you might be interested in. Try out anything that sparks your interest, especially as many have free taster sessions (if they are not always free anyway), and if you don't like something, you don't have to go again!

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:
Amie (third year University of Southampton Official Rep)
which is the best?
what's it like?

Hi @ScoobyZazzy,

Societies are great to add to your university experience, and give you a break from your studies.

Societies are usually free or have a very low fee for joining. They might have weekly meetings, fun trips, or sober and/or drinking socials. They are a great place to meet like-minded people, make new friends, or find something completely new that you think you will be interested in!

There is no 'best' society, as this really depends upon what you're interested in. There are loads of societies out there, so I would recommend visiting your university's or student union's website to find a list of societies that are available. You'll be able to meet new people in any society you choose to join, and your university is very likely to have a law society, Model UN, debate club, or something similar which would be good for networking.

I would definitely recommend attending your university's sports and societies fair, and signing up for anything and everything you are interested in. This way you can go to each taster session (without having to pay the fee if there is one), and you can decide if you like it with no commitment!

Best of luck, and I hope this helps!
Isabella
which is the best?
what's it like?

Hi there @ScoobyZazzy, :smile:

Joining a society is a brilliant way to meet like-minded people, make friends, and get involved in social activities outside of your course. There's not really a best society to join, what's important is to choose a society that suits your interests, you are likely to meet others with the same interests leading some great relationships.

You may find that your university has a law related society, you can usually have a look at the societies on the SU website, here at UCLan we offer a Law Society where our students meet others with the same interests and develop their skills in law.

There are lot of different types of societies, the best way to get a feel for different societies is by attending your university's freshers fair where you can meet the committees and members of each society and find out more about what they do.

Best wishes, :smile:
Sarah
which is the best?
what's it like?

Hi there

Hope you are looking forward to going to University. :smile:

There are a wide range of societies at Universities, and what is best really depends on what your hobbies are or what interests you. You will probably be able to find a range of all the soceities on their Student Union websites, so you can check out their social pages before arriving on campus.

Each soceity varies in the events that they host, some may be more acamdemic or informative, otheres may be more to do with socials, sports and other events.

I would recommed going to the Fresher's Fair, this is where all societies display their society and events. When I joined University, I walked through the whole fair and found quite a few that interested me. :smile: I would recommend doing so too, it gives you a chance to meet new people and explore different interests.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending