The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

lilith_bloom
Yeah, there was a mass debate in our flat about whether they were heat detectors or smoke detectors. Still, though, better safe than outside freezing your arse off; and the Matalan bag really set off the rest of my décor.

What was Westwood like? I'm doing that Westwood sharing scheme-thing next year. Is it REALLY the new Rootes?

I'm sharing too. I'm half excited, half thinking i'll still spend most of the first few weeks in leam and misssing those important 9 o clocks. I suppose it depends on what my room-mate is like. I'm gutted i missed the application to be a freshers helper looks like i'll be wearing another black t-shirt on the sat night :-/
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 101
because my last name begins with S, i am supposed to arrive on the sunday, but i dont wanna miss out on sat nite, or kitchen space ect, so is there any way i could arrive on sat?
Reply 102
mary21
because my last name begins with S, i am supposed to arrive on the sunday, but i dont wanna miss out on sat nite, or kitchen space ect, so is there any way i could arrive on sat?

Just turn up on the Saturday, it's not a big deal :smile:
Reply 103
mary21

Yeah dont worry about it at all. Just turn up on Sat within the opening hours.
I did this. Its fine.
They have people who want to arrive the other day for all sorts of travel reasons on both days.
If you want the official answer give them a quick call but regardless of what they say, turn up when you like over that weekend (obviously still between 10am and 5pm or whatever it is). :smile:
Just call them up and tell them you can only make it on the Saturday since your parents have more important things to do on the Sunday blah blah..

You can even arrive on the Friday if you're that desperate :P: You'll just get charged extra and you'll probably find that no one is there unless you knock on every door to find the odd international student on orientation.
Reply 105
1. If your hallmates are a horrible bunch of idiots who you have absolutely nothing in common with, don't despair. Societies are the best way to meet new people who are just like you. Most of my close friends I met through Warwick RAG (Raising And Giving, normally involving animal costumes), and I don't plan on having any contact with the idiots I spent my first year living with. It may seem like everyone's best friends with their next door neighbour, but things do change.

2. Don't worry if you don't have people to live with at the close of term 1. There are people I know who have literally just nipped back up to uni a few days ago to sign a housing contract with friends - you won't be homeless.

3. Do try to go out as much as you can in the first three or so weeks, but don't be an idiot about it, either. Try to attend every lecture and seminar too, as there's a lot of foundation stuff drummed into you at the beginning that can be vital.

4. Talk to *everyone*. Now's the time to make as many acquaintances as possible. If they completely ignore you then it's their fault for being so antisocial! Who knows, that random person looking lost at the bar might turn out to be your new best friend.

5. Seriously, don't worry about not having a 'group'. Warwick's massive. Chances are you'll find some people just as strange as you are.

6. Do something mad. If you've ever wanted to dye your hair neon green or completely change your style or even just crossdress for a week to see what it's like, uni is the time. I have the maddest hair out of anyone on campus, and I never get a second glance - you could run through the piazza at 3 in the afternoon wearing only a toga and purple mullet wig screaming the first act of Hamlet in German and the most you'd get are some mildly amused glances.

7. Don't take Nice Things. They will get destroyed.

8. Take it easy, but not *too* easy. Do your work, go to lectures, and you won't be pulling your hair out when it comes to exam time.

9. Long distance romances *CAN* work, if they're the real deal. The first term is always hell, but once you come home for Christmas it becomes obvious if it's worth holding on to or not. They're not easy, so if it works then you should be proud, but if it doesn't then chances are it wouldn't have survived much longer anyway.

10. Have fun! These are the wildest and most carefree years of your life. So yeah, hitch to Dublin on your free weekend or spend your £50 of weekly alcohol allowance on a skydive instead. You'll never have so many crazy opportunities as you will for the next three/whatever years, so take advantage of them!
Paradiddle_man
You'll just get charged extra and you'll probably find that no one is there unless you knock on every door to find the odd international student on orientation.

..We're not odd :hmmm:
Y'anami!

lol he didnt mean it like that im sure..."odd" as in "the few"
veni, vidi, vici
lol he didnt mean it like that im sure..."odd" as in "the few"

Lol I know, I was just fooling around :biggrin:.
Jinxie
1. If your hallmates are a horrible bunch of idiots who you have absolutely nothing in common with, don't despair. Societies are the best way to meet new people who are just like you. Most of my close friends I met through Warwick RAG (Raising And Giving, normally involving animal costumes), and I don't plan on having any contact with the idiots I spent my first year living with. It may seem like everyone's best friends with their next door neighbour, but things do change.

2. Don't worry if you don't have people to live with at the close of term 1. There are people I know who have literally just nipped back up to uni a few days ago to sign a housing contract with friends - you won't be homeless.

3. Do try to go out as much as you can in the first three or so weeks, but don't be an idiot about it, either. Try to attend every lecture and seminar too, as there's a lot of foundation stuff drummed into you at the beginning that can be vital.

4. Talk to *everyone*. Now's the time to make as many acquaintances as possible. If they completely ignore you then it's their fault for being so antisocial! Who knows, that random person looking lost at the bar might turn out to be your new best friend.

5. Seriously, don't worry about not having a 'group'. Warwick's massive. Chances are you'll find some people just as strange as you are.

6. Do something mad. If you've ever wanted to dye your hair neon green or completely change your style or even just crossdress for a week to see what it's like, uni is the time. I have the maddest hair out of anyone on campus, and I never get a second glance - you could run through the piazza at 3 in the afternoon wearing only a toga and purple mullet wig screaming the first act of Hamlet in German and the most you'd get are some mildly amused glances.

7. Don't take Nice Things. They will get destroyed.

8. Take it easy, but not *too* easy. Do your work, go to lectures, and you won't be pulling your hair out when it comes to exam time.

9. Long distance romances *CAN* work, if they're the real deal. The first term is always hell, but once you come home for Christmas it becomes obvious if it's worth holding on to or not. They're not easy, so if it works then you should be proud, but if it doesn't then chances are it wouldn't have survived much longer anyway.

10. Have fun! These are the wildest and most carefree years of your life. So yeah, hitch to Dublin on your free weekend or spend your £50 of weekly alcohol allowance on a skydive instead. You'll never have so many crazy opportunities as you will for the next three/whatever years, so take advantage of them!

:-O are you the girl with bright pink dreads?!?!
Y'anami!

Of course we're not, I'm one too..

In fact in the business school we seem to be the majority :p:

Latest