The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Future African game vet
I put for the cancer one that the antibiotic prevents dna replication, therefore the cell cannot preform interphase and then prophase could not occur because there are no sister chromatids so the spindle fibres have nothing to attach to there fore cannot pull genetically identical material to opposite poles to produce a copy of it's self in telophase -that is how it works I think

thats complete crap
tomen123
thats complete crap

dont be mean.

anyway, i thought there were a few q's that were a bit iffy, but overall it was ok. hated the aphids, and forgot to put lignified walls for adaptations of xylem! stupid mistake - bye-bye 2 marks.
tomen123
thats complete crap

I don't see you writing anything more sensible -it sounds right to me!
but then again it would - I wouldn't write it if it sounded completely wrong.lol =)
Future African game vet
but then again it would - I wouldn't write it if it sounded completely wrong.lol =)

DNA replication has to happen before mitosis (and prophase) and it can't replicate
Future African dude is more or less right, that's what I submitted for my answer to that question too. It's an application question, it said "suggest" too, so there isn't just one answer. Regardless, you would probably get a mark for saying inhibits, slows down or even stops DNA replication before cell division etc, so that cell division can't occur. Wouldn't that be the aim of doctors with an anti-biotic such as that? To stop cancer of course. What's the point in slowing down cancer cell replication. It'll just kill the patient slowly.
With the vein question on BYB3 did you guys put down skeletal muscle contractions increase pressure from A----B to push blood along? Blood flows in one direction passed the valve and not backwards or something. And for the other question which was about the special stocking. I put down that the stocking's tighter around ankle because that's where the damaged valves/veins are and so pressure there is increased meaning blood in the veins there are always moving forward and not back. Something like that.
For the Xylem question I put
-Lignified walls (1 mark) for strength (1 mark)
-No organelles interrupting water flow such as cytoplasm, mitochondria etc (1 mark ) minimal resistance to water flow (1 mark)
-Endless tube or tunnel with no endings (1 mark) Free movement of water in a column
Also put perforations for lateral movement of water xD
Oh yeah one more, the last question, I only got 2/4 marks, max.

I put the xylem sucks in water because when it moves towards leaf due to transpiration (all the malarki on water potential) and this causes a pressure sucking in the surroundings. Also water's cohesive, so it'll suck the water in the syringe up.
What about the phloem part? I died on that part :/
snorty_swirl
lost on
BYB3

The question about what happens to lactate.

and our teacher never taught us much about the structure of xylem

For lactate, I put:

-Can dissociate into H ions lower blood/muscle Ph (can cause muscle fatigue)

-Is oxidised

-Turned into pyruvate and CO2 etc.

I hoped to have scored 4/4 for that, but then, hey you know, I hope for alot. :biggrin:
tomenthedon
thats complete crap

actually it's not! I got 100% on genes and genetic engineering so It must have been right after all! - sorry :rolleyes:
Future African game vet
actually it's not! I got 100% on genes and genetic engineering so It must have been right after all! - sorry :rolleyes:

you may have just got full marks in ums marks not raw marks though..
shahrukh24
you may have just got full marks in ums marks not raw marks though..

good point -lol :rolleyes:
Reply 34
I got a grade B for BYB2
I got a grade E for BYB3 < dissapointed. (re-taking).
msg me if u got similar and feel as crap as i do. (overall i got a grade d).
Ah I hated BYB2 but somehow managed to get 79/90 (a) in it and 102/120 (a) in BYB3 in June. I remember leaving the exam thinking to myself I ****** up big time. I was completely blank with the question aphids for BYB2 and really struggled with the questions on radioactive tracers. Really was expecting a B/C in that module. I also left the very last four mark question in BYB3 after running out of time as well as guessing the ECG question and a few other obscure ones about the heart. Really don't know how I got through AS Biology only using CGP and a few past papers! I'm just glad I'm not resitting anything - there's just so much content in each module.

I just realised I like my 79's. I got 79/90 in BYB1, BYB2, and Unit 3 (Nuffield) lawl! :p:
!MEna
Ah I hated BYB2 but somehow managed to get 79/90 (a) in it and 102/120 (a) in BYB3 in June. I remember leaving the exam thinking to myself I ****** up big time. I was completely blank with the question aphids for BYB2 and really struggled with the questions on radioactive tracers. Really was expecting a B/C in that module. I also left the very last four mark question in BYB3 after running out of time as well as guessing the ECG question and a few other obscure ones about the heart. Really don't know how I got through AS Biology only using CGP and a few past papers! I'm just glad I'm not resitting anything - there's just so much content in each module.

I just realised I like my 79's. I got 79/90 in BYB1, BYB2, and Unit 3 (Nuffield) lawl! :p:

Congratulations on your grades. I thought I messed up BYB2, and I did! YAY FOR ME!
Reply 37
These papers were soooo much harder than the BYB1 I sat in Jan! BYB3 wasn't sooo bad, but BYB2 I thought I'd flopped. completely. Either the grade boundaries must have been very low or my waffling skills have greatly improved since GCSE because I didn't have a clue what the cisplatin or aphid questions were on about.

Latest