The Student Room Group

Bulimia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
However it probably would not help how I feel about myself. But still a nice plan. Thanks

True it might not - but its better to combat something this complex one step at a time.
Original post by angelike1
Also buy a calander (or print out the dates for June), and cross off each day you dont make yourself puke - looking at all those Xs will motivate you to keep going.

Awww thank you . Will do
Awww thank you . Will do

its cool - good luck (:
OP, I completely get where you're coming from. I've suffered with various eating disorders over the past two years - anorexia for 18 months, bulimia for 6 months (and counting), and that's also mixed with orthorexic tendencies over the past month. It's definitely about taking it one day at a time at this stage. I've found when I try to stop binging and then purging it's really helpful for me to think of the positives from stopping, e.g. more money to spend on things I like rather than food I don't really want or need. That really keeps me going, then, once I've stopped for a few days, I find it useful to remind myself that I have stopped for a few days and again to pat myself on the back for that. As someone else has said, identifying triggers will help you. For me, social anxiety played a huge part. I gained weight after basically being forced to by friends, but as I gained weight, I became convinced friends were judging me for being a disappointment because I had gained weight again, and then that triggered a binge/purge cycle. I also used it as an emotional coping mechanism because I lacked the ability to process emotions for a while. Anyway, enough about me, you're doing well, so just keep it up and keep reminding yourself how amazing you are to be attempting recovery.
OP, I completely get where you're coming from. I've suffered with various eating disorders over the past two years - anorexia for 18 months, bulimia for 6 months (and counting), and that's also mixed with orthorexic tendencies over the past month. It's definitely about taking it one day at a time at this stage. I've found when I try to stop binging and then purging it's really helpful for me to think of the positives from stopping, e.g. more money to spend on things I like rather than food I don't really want or need. That really keeps me going, then, once I've stopped for a few days, I find it useful to remind myself that I have stopped for a few days and again to pat myself on the back for that. As someone else has said, identifying triggers will help you. For me, social anxiety played a huge part. I gained weight after basically being forced to by friends, but as I gained weight, I became convinced friends were judging me for being a disappointment because I had gained weight again, and then that triggered a binge/purge cycle. I also used it as an emotional coping mechanism because I lacked the ability to process emotions for a while. Anyway, enough about me, you're doing well, so just keep it up and keep reminding yourself how amazing you are to be attempting recovery.

Thank you so much. I hope you’re okay.
❤️
Thank you so much. I hope you’re okay.
❤️

Thanks and to be honest, at the moment, I'm quite content with having an eating disorder (as odd as that sounds, but it is comforting to me), though I just wish I could stop binging and purging.
Thanks and to be honest, at the moment, I'm quite content with having an eating disorder (as odd as that sounds, but it is comforting to me), though I just wish I could stop binging and purging.

I get you because I used to feel like that sometimes too.
I get you because I used to feel like that sometimes too.

I reckon it's because eating disorders are basically disordered coping strategies, that's why they're so comforting.

Quick Reply

Latest