The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wired_1800
I think the risk of being called homophobic. Black people have Black History Month, Jews have Holocaust Memorial Month, Asians have different days. However, when some white people wanted to have a White History Month, it was called racist.

So what? We still get hate for being gay, too. So if they want to have their own parade that badly, they need to put up with some criticism.
The UK is different though. Homosexuals have similar rights to heterosexuals. We are not talking about the whole world.
Wow they let anyone become political ambassador on TSR these days....
I think the risk of being called homophobic. Black people have Black History Month, Jews have Holocaust Memorial Month, Asians have different days. However, when some white people wanted to have a White History Month, it was called racist.
Original post by Ciel.
So what? We still get hate for being gay, too. So if they want to have their own parade that badly, they need to put up with some criticism.

But homosexuals are not called heterophobic for celebrating Pride. So why called straight people homophobic.
I had a similar discussion with Napp, not so long ago. A simple internet search will reveal a number of times in the UK both gay men and women have suffered physical violence due to their perceived or actual sexuality. I myself received familial backlash when I came out and many others have received familial or parental backlash. Just because we have gay marriage it doesn’t mean homophobia is dead
The UK is different though. Homosexuals have similar rights to heterosexuals. We are not talking about the whole world.
Original post by Athenaxx
Wow they let anyone become political ambassador on TSR these days....

No need for personal attacks. Stick to the debate topic. We don't all have to agree on everything.

I am not homophobic, just trying to push a different idea for us to think about.

yeah because whites get discriminated against all the time -___-
Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
yeah because whites get discriminated against all the time -___-

That is not the point. The point is equality.
What the heck are you talking about? That's exactly the point smh

Asians, blacks, gays have a point in doing it. Straights and white people do not. not everyone has to be included in everything when there’s nothing going on. like imagine a white history month? straight pride? lmao. straight pride is even worse
Original post by bluebear25618
No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pride isnt about being proud of being LGBTQ, but about being proud of being yourself even if that is difficult. By this logic, straight pride wouldnt make sense. You're not proud of being straight, but you dont have to be yourself in the face of adversity because straight people dont face the troubles LGBTQ people do. I've never seen pride as being proud of your sexuality, more as being proud of the courage it takes to be yourself when people dont approve. Which doesnt affect straight people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_pride
Asians, blacks, gays have a point in doing it. Straights and white people do not. not everyone has to be included in everything when there’s nothing going on. like imagine a white history month? straight pride? lmao. straight pride is even worse

Why though? Equality is the state of being equal in rights and opportunities. If a group can get something, then another group should have the opportunity to achieve the same thing.
Original post by Athenaxx
What the heck are you talking about? That's exactly the point smh

It is not the point.
Why though? Equality is the state of being equal in rights and opportunities. If a group can get something, then another group should have the opportunity to achieve the same thing.

but there’s just NO point! white people should be happy they don’t because that means they weren’t abused so much like blacks, jews, asians are. it’s white history month every month man , allow it
Reply 34
But homosexuals are not called heterophobic for celebrating Pride. So why called straight people homophobic.

No, usually we are just called disgusting freaks and ******s who should die and go to hell. And anyway, it's because straight people never had to face discrimination purely because of their sexuality.
I agree with you. It is disgusting how homosexuals get treated. I think homophobes should be jailed for such disgusting acts.

However, the UK is way better than many countries prob 98% of the world.
I don’t think people care enough to make it happen.
Original post by Kinyonga
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48527248

What do you think about this? Should there be a straight pride event? Why, why not?

Oh God I am so tired of this - ffs why. I love gay pride - why would I want to look at a load of straight people telling me they are straight - and I am straight.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Oh God I am so tired of this - ffs why. I love gay pride - why would I want to look at a load of straight people telling me they are straight - and I am straight.

Being straight should not be something to be celebrated neither is being gay, IMO. It is should be part of you.
but there’s just NO point! white people should be happy they don’t because that means they weren’t abused so much like blacks, jews, asians are. it’s white history month every month man , allow it

Wow.

Latest

Trending

Trending