The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Should I retake my A levels With an unconditional offer

My question is that I’ve been given an unconditional offer when I applied for my course (Automotive Eng) at Coventry university. My predicted grade were AAB in Maths/ physics and computer science.

However during my A level exam period I’ve gone through a lot from losing someone in my family and I don’t feel confident that I even got decent grades for me to go to uni. I feel as if I got two Es pretty much and I’m lost whether I should spend another whole year retaking or just go uni, do my best there and do masters etc. To make up for the loss now.

Is it worth retaking all for better A levels grades or shall I just take the unconditional and head to uni. Lost guys
Unconditional imo
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
But would the grades I get now affect me in the future even when I come out with a degree and placement year? Just so baffled between what I should do tbh

Original post by Anonymous
Unconditional imo
Reply 3
Sorry to hear about your situation mate. I have an unconditional as well (same predicted grades too), as do a few of my friends. Personally, a levels aren’t going too great for me either. I’ve done quite a bit of research recently on whether or not a levels matter if you have a bachelor’s degree or masters. The general consensus seems to be not so I would just say just take the unconditional. I don’t think it would be worth it to retake all of them as you would be going over content that you’ve been studying for years already when you could be a year in studying something that actually matters
Reply 4
Thanks man
After actually hearing advice from people I think I should just pursue uni and make the best of it there.
Retaking is just stress from what I’m seeing from people in my classes now
Original post by Zuee
Sorry to hear about your situation mate. I have an unconditional as well (same predicted grades too), as do a few of my friends. Personally, a levels aren’t going too great for me either. I’ve done quite a bit of research recently on whether or not a levels matter if you have a bachelor’s degree or masters. The general consensus seems to be not so I would just say just take the unconditional. I don’t think it would be worth it to retake all of them as you would be going over content that you’ve been studying for years already when you could be a year in studying something that actually matters
Reply 5
Original post by Shaun222
Thanks man
After actually hearing advice from people I think I should just pursue uni and make the best of it there.
Retaking is just stress from what I’m seeing from people in my classes now

Definitely! And in the unlikely event that your grades do turn out to be important in the future, it’s always an option to redo them privately but you probably wouldn’t need to.
Original post by Zuee

In Engineering some companies still use UCAS points to filter out candidates for graduate jobs (although for the most part it doesn't matter). No one at Coventry get close to the predicted grades anyway...

The average engineering student their gets like BCC in A-Levels the required grades are a complete lie (across the Uni apart from physio students, almost everyone at Coventry Uni is getting C's & D's) If you get A's & B's on results day ask Coventry to release you and try and go to a better Uni. The academic standards at Coventry are as one of my lecturers said trivial.
I’m in a similar situation, I’m confident I got A* and maybe A-B with my other two A levels but I Missed one of my exams for my last A level because of something. I have an unconditional but I’ve heard that even if my results are great for the other two if I fail this one I can’t get in
Contact the Uni and explain your circumstance - unconditional should mean just that - failing one shouldn't matter

Quick Reply

Latest