The Student Room Group

Dropping out of university and starting again

Hello,

Would it be worth dropping out of first year at a low ranked university (700~ on QS) and starting again this September at a higher ranked university (350~ on QS)?

In terms of employability, opportunities etc would it be worth it?

I'm currently studying Computer Science and not planning on changing my degree.
Original post by johntsr2
Hello,

Would it be worth dropping out of first year at a low ranked university (700~ on QS) and starting again this September at a higher ranked university (350~ on QS)?

Do you have the grades to make that a realistic move ? A higher ranked course is going to want you to meet all the usual entry requirements. They may also want to see you complete your current 1st year with a good mark. Have you read the TSR transfer FAQ?
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Do you have the grades to make that a realistic move ? A higher ranked course is going to want you to meet all the usual entry requirements. They may also want to see you complete your current 1st year with a good mark. Have you read the TSR transfer FAQ?

I have, I already met the grades and have an unconditional offer to start again in year 1, just wondering if repeating first year in another university is worth the move as it's higher ranked.
wht are the subject rankings like though ?
Reply 4
Original post by InArduisFouette
wht are the subject rankings like though ?

Subject Rankings wise they are the same
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
bump
Hello,

Hi there

Where are you thinking of moving to? I think that Computer Science is a very sort out degree so ranking may not be as important as you think. However, if you have a particular university in mind, do you meet their entry requirements?

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep
Reply 8
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

Where are you thinking of moving to? I think that Computer Science is a very sort out degree so ranking may not be as important as you think. However, if you have a particular university in mind, do you meet their entry requirements?

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep

Hello,

I was thinking of moving to Kent for Computer Science starting at year 1 again.

I currently have an unconditional offer from them as I applied earlier in the year.
Hello,

I currently have an unconditional offer from them as I applied earlier in the year.

Congratulations on the unconditional offer! I have a friend that moved to Cardiff after having his first year at the University of Birmingham. He didn't have to retake the year - have you asked about this?

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep
Reply 10
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Congratulations on the unconditional offer! I have a friend that moved to Cardiff after having his first year at the University of Birmingham. He didn't have to retake the year - have you asked about this?

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep

Thanks!

Yeah I asked them both by email and by calling the admissions team but they said the Computer Science course specifically does not accept any transfers into 2nd year. Hence why I'm a bit on the fence about whether transferring would be worth it or not purely for ranking.
Hello,

@University of Kent Reps
Reply 12
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending