The Student Room Group

Foundation year

I've got an unconditional offer for a foundation year in my chosen subject at my first choice university. Is it worth taking it? Should I wait a year to redo school or go onwards? I'm leaning the latter, but does anyone have any reasons why it would be unfavourable for me to take it?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
The problem with 'Foundation years' is that they are not a formal take-away qualification that you can use at another Uni - and you are tied to completing the main degree at that Uni and only that Uni. Its also adds another year of SF debt.

Its always better to resit A levels etc if you can than do a Foundation year.
Original post by McGinger
The problem with 'Foundation years' is that they are not a formal take-away qualification that you can use at another Uni - and you are tied to completing the main degree at that Uni and only that Uni. Its also adds another year of SF debt.

Its always better to resit A levels etc if you can than do a Foundation year.

As I stated, the foundation year is at my first choice university. I’m delighted that it carries on at the same university.

I should note that my A levels would cost the same amount as a Foundation Year.
Original post by WonderingStudier
As I stated, the foundation year is at my first choice university. I’m delighted that it carries on at the same university.

I should note that my A levels would cost the same amount as a Foundation Year.

Then that’s an extraordinarily cheap FY.

If you’re certain that you want to stay on at that uni then it’s definitely a viable option. I would look into the progression terms in detail - what grades do you need, what happens if you fail a module, are retakes permitted etc.
Original post by Admit-One
Then that’s an extraordinarily cheap FY.

If you’re certain that you want to stay on at that uni then it’s definitely a viable option. I would look into the progression terms in detail - what grades do you need, what happens if you fail a module, are retakes permitted etc.

On the contrary, there are some circumstances that make a levels expensive for me to take.

Thank you I will take that into consideration. Where would I generally find this information?
Original post by WonderingStudier
On the contrary, there are some circumstances that make a levels expensive for me to take.

Thank you I will take that into consideration. Where would I generally find this information?

(I’ll presume that’s science practical related as I can’t think of anything else that would bump it up that much.)

With regards to progression terms you’ll almost certainly have to ask the uni direct questions about this. Publicly they’ll probably only comment on guaranteeing an offer for the main course, but you need to understand clearly how you fulfil the conditions. (Or what happens if you don’t.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending