The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Our teacher always says define all the aspects of the question first - like you would define genre, then what an audience is before going further.
Reply 21
for the introduction in med 6 it is always best to describe the form and function of both of the texts i.e. a still image could be a print advert using a billboard and its function is to sell a particular product or service. Its what I was told in our revision sesh yesterday.
Reply 22
Emilina, i took the MED4 exam in January and gained an A, to tell you the truth i didn't do that much revision, i just made sure i knew about active audiences - red button, need for interaction, Uses and Grats, Phone line scams, ect. Genre was never my strong point and i didn't answer the question in January, but i'd advise revising Hybridity, any theories you think may be useful, all the texts you have studies, generic conventions of the genre, ect. Finally for Representation go over the Implicit Personality Theory, Mediation - Focusing, Organization and Selection, Stereotypes, ect.
Hope that helps.

Hows everyone feeling about MED6? I'm feeling rather happy as my teacher has already seen the Moving Text as she had to check it worked ok on the DVD player, she gave us some "sneaky hints" as to what its about and what to revise. :smile:
Reply 23
Felicity07
Emilina, i took the MED4 exam in January and gained an A, to tell you the truth i didn't do that much revision, i just made sure i knew about active audiences - red button, need for interaction, Uses and Grats, Phone line scams, ect. Genre was never my strong point and i didn't answer the question in January, but i'd advise revising Hybridity, any theories you think may be useful, all the texts you have studies, generic conventions of the genre, ect. Finally for Representation go over the Implicit Personality Theory, Mediation - Focusing, Organization and Selection, Stereotypes, ect.
Hope that helps.

Hows everyone feeling about MED6? I'm feeling rather happy as my teacher has already seen the Moving Text as she had to check it worked ok on the DVD player, she gave us some "sneaky hints" as to what its about and what to revise. :smile:

thanks :biggrin: i havent even heard of half of what you said . .. ****ing teachers. they just cancelled all our lessons instead of teaching us :sad:

sneaky hints? care to share? :p: :puppyeyes:
Reply 24
Felicity07
Hope that helps.

oh come on share those "sneaky hints" pleazz
lol well we now know its a moving text (or did we already?) so now I'm off to youtube to analyse videos and adverts.

I hate Med 4 - too open ended. "Whats the meaning of life" sorta stuff.
Reply 26
yeah we already knew it is going to be one moving image and one still image
Reply 27
Reply 28
Felicity07
Sneaky hints -

My teacher basically told us to revise all REALITY TV issues such as, has reality tv gone too far, Phone Line scams, media bias, press invasion, celebrity culture and it's influence of society. dumbing down - how long will tv go. She also said that the text will be on a terrestrial channel.

She also said she couldn't tell us anything about the media language of the text as this would give the text away.

Remeber i didn't tell you anything!

*runs away*

thnx :biggrin:
Reply 29
Felicity07
Sneaky hints -

My teacher basically told us to revise all REALITY TV issues such as, has reality tv gone too far, Phone Line scams, media bias, press invasion, celebrity culture and it's influence of society. dumbing down - how long will tv go. She also said that the text will be on a terrestrial channel.

She also said she couldn't tell us anything about the media language of the text as this would give the text away.

Remeber i didn't tell you anything!

*runs away*

Thanks..... what kind of weider contexts woudl this cover about reeality tv
Right cool Reality tv gottit, gna revisee that now!!!
whats a terrestrial channel? :/.. channel 5?
Reply 31
What are you going to revise for reality tv? We didn't cover this in class only sitcoms, newspapers and magazines. Helpppp
individual_08
Right cool Reality tv gottit, gna revisee that now!!!
whats a terrestrial channel? :/.. channel 5?

Terrestrial channels include BBC1 & 2, ITV, Channel 4 & Five.

I'm guessing it might be Big Brother or something as that's on Channel 4 and has started already.

Thanks for the heads up Felicity as well, I watch alot of Reality TV and hopefully this makes it a little easier going into the exam!
sushAA
What are you going to revise for reality tv? We didn't cover this in class only sitcoms, newspapers and magazines. Helpppp

The unit 6 exam basically is asking you to use your knowledge of analysing texts. You must have covered something that can relate to reality television like adverts etc?
representations of reality perhaps? How its really all phony, the hybrid nature of it as Big Brother for example uses elements of Game Show and Documentary?

That's all that springs to my mind.
Reply 35
i need advice on specific theory that relates to reality tv (if there is any)

because our class didn't have much on reality tv

by the way is it certainly going to be reality TV for AQA students?
twista999
i need advice on specific theory that relates to reality tv (if there is any)

because our class didn't have much on reality tv

by the way is it certainly going to be reality TV for AQA students?

I wouldn't recommend you devote all of your revision to just reality television.

bobcunningham
representations of reality perhaps? How its really all phony, the hybrid nature of it as Big Brother for example uses elements of Game Show and Documentary?
That's all that springs to my mind.

I'd also write about how it gives a positive reflection on gaining celebrity status easily and how it can actually backfire as alot of housemates etc have been exploited all in the name of good ratings. Look at Celebrity Big Brother with the big racism row, that'd be a good example in the text was on Big Brother.
Reply 37
Yeah we did cover advertisements but nothing on actual reality tv programmes such as big brother. Does anyone have anything specfic to revise for reality tv. Im just gonna look up some stories on recent phone scams for the issue and debates bit.
Reply 38
we didnt really do anything on unit 6 :s-smilie: im so screwed for this . . .
emilina
we didnt really do anything on unit 6 :s-smilie: im so screwed for this . . .

We covered Unit 6 for like two/three weeks towards study leave. We had a few practise exam papers too. That's all. I think teachers must get stressed out towards the end of the term as they can only really speculate what's going to be in the exam.

Latest