The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Physics Stage 1 Module choices and IOP Accreditation

Hi everyone!

I've recently finished the S111 introductory module on the Open University's Physics degree, and am slightly confused regarding the next module choices.

According to the PDF by the IOP ive linked just below, all of the compulsory modules required for an official accreditation are in stages 2 and 3. Im assuming therefore that the modules after S111 in Stage 1 are all optional and equally viable for a Physics degree?

https://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/accreditation/file_51839.pdf

Specifically I have to choose the compulsory module:

Essential mathematics 1, Module code: MST124

And one of the Optional Modules:

Physics and space, Module code: SM123
Essential mathematics 2, Module code: MST125
Introducing statistics, Module code: M140
Technologies in practice, Module code: TM129

My instincts tell me that Essential Mathematics 2 is the most rigorous option, however I have little background in actual Physics and so Physics and Space could prove useful background knowledge moving forwards. Technologies in Practice might be less relevant but I do have an interest in engineering, and a degree in Architecture so it can be useful knowledge?

Assuming that im correct and the choice here doesn't matter, which one would you guys suggest?

Also, both the compulsory module and the optional one seem to have a start date of the 5th of October 2019, does this mean that I can take on both modules at the same time? Would this be overkill or is it common practice? Or am I wrong in assuming i can choose to start both at the same date.
I'm not specifically familiar with either the Q64 or Q77 courses, but I'd recommend going over your stage 2 modules and ensuring there are no prerequisite stage 1 modules required.

S207 (Required)
Retired, can substitute S217

S217 (Substitute for S207)
Requires SM123

MST210 (Required, can substitute MST224)
Requires MST125

MST224 (Substitute for MST210)
Requires MST124

SXPA288 (Optional)
Retired, seems similar to SXPS288, you'd need to query
SXPS288 recommends S207, S217, S282, or S283, if allowed

SXR207, SXR208, MSXR209, TXR220 (Optional)
All seem to be retired. If SPXS288 isn't allowed as a replacement for SXPA288, it won't be possible to acheive the required practical portion

If you want to take 150 credits at stage 1, you 'd want to take SM123 so that you can take S217, and MST125 so you can take MST210. If you want the shortest route, you can take SM123 so that you can take S217, then you can try to substitute MST224 for MST210. But none of it really makes any difference unless you can fulfill the practical portion of the requirements, so you'll want to find someone to check SPXS288 with.

As to study load, you can take up to 120 credits at once, but it's recommended to take 60 credits per year if you're studying part time (so two 30 credit modules is the typical path).
(edited 4 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
SM123 is not a requirement for S217
Original post by JollyCynic
I'm not specifically familiar with either the Q64 or Q77 courses, but I'd recommend going over your stage 2 modules and ensuring there are no prerequisite stage 1 modules required.

S207 (Required)
Retired, can substitute S217

S217 (Substitute for S207)
Requires SM123

MST210 (Required, can substitute MST224)
Requires MST125

MST224 (Substitute for MST210)
Requires MST124

SXPA288 (Optional)
Retired, seems similar to SXPS288, you'd need to query
SXPS288 recommends S207, S217, S282, or S283, if allowed

SXR207, SXR208, MSXR209, TXR220 (Optional)
All seem to be retired. If SPXS288 isn't allowed as a replacement for SXPA288, it won't be possible to acheive the required practical portion

If you want to take 150 credits at stage 1, you 'd want to take SM123 so that you can take S217, and MST125 so you can take MST210. If you want the shortest route, you can take SM123 so that you can take S217, then you can try to substitute MST224 for MST210. But none of it really makes any difference unless you can fulfill the practical portion of the requirements, so you'll want to find someone to check SPXS288 with.

As to study load, you can take up to 120 credits at once, but it's recommended to take 60 credits per year if you're studying part time (so two 30 credit modules is the typical path).
Reply 3
Did you ever found out? I am in the same boat studying Q64 with the Astronomy route, and just about to select my second year modules. I chose SM123 for my option year 1 module....
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
In case anyone was out there wondering as of right now, no the Open University Natural sciences Q64 degree - Astronomy route is not accredited by Institute of Physics (IOP).
The only IOP accredited route for Q64 is the Physics route. --> http://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/accred-and-recog/page_73752.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SPD_92
In case anyone was out there wondering as of right now, no the Open University Natural sciences Q64 degree - Astronomy route is not accredited by Institute of Physics (IOP).
The only IOP accredited route for Q64 is the Physics route. --> http://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/accred-and-recog/page_73752.html

There is also a new BSc Physics (R51), meant to replace Q64

https://learn2.open.ac.uk/mod/forumng/discuss.php?d=3220562

Quick Reply

Latest