The Student Room Group

Oxford with AABB AS?

I know this forum is coming down with these requests, and I know that nobody can tell me a definite yes or no, but I would really appreciate anyone who could give me any realistic advice based on their experiences or anecdotes. :smile:
I've just finished my first year of A Levels (Year 13 in Northern Ireland where we still sit AS exams) and I'm predicting AABB, with the As in English and French and Bs in history and music. I'm hoping to study English and French together at Oxford but I know that my AS grades (albeit only predicted) are not as high as other potential applicants and I fear that realistically, I probably don't have much of a chance. I'm also aiming for A*AA next year (A* in English, dropping music) and I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE.
Speaking in terms of competitive courses and value placed on my AS grades (provided I even achieve these grades) as well as my stronger GCSEs, is it even worth my while applying? If I know that there is basically no point in applying I would much rather make peace with it and focus on other universities (and save that precious space on my application!)
Sorry for the rambling and thank you so much in advance :smile:
Original post by pesticide
I know this forum is coming down with these requests, and I know that nobody can tell me a definite yes or no, but I would really appreciate anyone who could give me any realistic advice based on their experiences or anecdotes. :smile:
I've just finished my first year of A Levels (Year 13 in Northern Ireland where we still sit AS exams) and I'm predicting AABB, with the As in English and French and Bs in history and music. I'm hoping to study English and French together at Oxford but I know that my AS grades (albeit only predicted) are not as high as other potential applicants and I fear that realistically, I probably don't have much of a chance. I'm also aiming for A*AA next year (A* in English, dropping music) and I got 6A*s and 4As at GCSE.
Speaking in terms of competitive courses and value placed on my AS grades (provided I even achieve these grades) as well as my stronger GCSEs, is it even worth my while applying? If I know that there is basically no point in applying I would much rather make peace with it and focus on other universities (and save that precious space on my application!)
Sorry for the rambling and thank you so much in advance :smile:

Your GCSE results are fine. AS levels are not heavily weighted in themselves, but of course, they may be a factor in your predicted grades for A2 - and that's the other exam Oxford will be interested in. You're fine with dropping down to 3 A Levels, but your teachers need to be predicting at least the minimum entry grades for your subject (at least AAA for English and French I think).
you have a strong chance - don't at all be discouraged but do work hard and bring that last grade up! as long as you're predicted those grades for a level, you should be fine. they're most interested in your personal statement, submitted work, and entrance exam anyway.
Hola pesticide,

Your grades look very encouraging and would certainly welcome an application from you, as we feel would other colleges.

Good luck with your application.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending