The Student Room Group

Is there any self taught pianists?

Hi im trying to learn piano but I wanted to know whether there are any self taught pianist whi can play by ear? If so have you got any tips?
Reply 1
I'm not self taught but it depends on how well/far do you want to take piano like learning to jus play songs, learning to be able to read notes or learning to know even the depth including theory etc. Pianist who can play by ear most likely has perfect pitch/ it's great help anyways. I'd say it's good to be patient with yourself and try to not develop bad habits etc
I'm self taught...ish, but can't play be ear worth a toss.

There a wee cheap app called Synthesia i've got on my pc, it's kind of like guitar hero for pianos, but actually accurate and you can feed it in basic midi files to follow (you find a MIDI of almost anything you'd ever want to play somewhere) ...with a USB piano keyboard I found it a fantastic tool to learn with myself.
Reply 3
Original post by Yazimi
I'm not self taught but it depends on how well/far do you want to take piano like learning to jus play songs, learning to be able to read notes or learning to know even the depth including theory etc. Pianist who can play by ear most likely has perfect pitch/ it's great help anyways. I'd say it's good to be patient with yourself and try to not develop bad habits etc

Ok thanks
I have been called a massive pianist and a huge bell end. But I am not sure why, as I don't consider myself much of a musician.

Quick Reply

Latest