The Student Room Group

What do you do in computer science and how often a week do you have lessons on it?

What do you do in computer science and how often a week do you have lessons on it?
Reply 1
boost
Original post by Zanquele

hey @Zanquele
So here at Lancaster University we have 4 modules in first year and each have at least 1 hour lecture and 2 hour practical per week. In your lectures the professor will teach you about the module theory and in the lab practical you will be given a small task that requires the use of what was taught in the lecture. In practicals they also provide coursework help near the end of term.

As for what is taught in the degree could vary vastly depending on the university and the degree. For example here in first year you study fundamentals of comp sci, along with digital systems and software development. Then in second year you learn about networks, databases, HCI etc. I would suggest you look at a few courses from universities and read about what exactly is taught in that module.

I hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!!
Vyomika(LU Student Ambassador)
Original post by Zanquele

Hi,

I've just finished my first year of Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) so hopefully I can help :smile:

For me, we had around 6hrs of lectures and 5hrs of computer labs a week. But this changes from semester to semester. This is for 4 modules.

What you do in comp sci, kinda depends on your uni for when they teach you different things and each uni does things a little differently. For me so far this year the modules I've done are Software Dev 1 & 2, Logic and Proof, Discrete Mathematics, Web Design & Databases, Praxis, Intro to Computer Systems and Intro to interaction design.

I think most of those are quite self-explanatory but feel free to ask if not. I may be clouded by doing them this year. Praxis is definitely not self-explanatory. Praxis is about gearing you up for jobs in the future and you also do an essay on a topic you find interesting.

My first year has honestly been SO amazing! And I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!

- Jessica
1st year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending