The Student Room Group

Aston A100 2020 entry

Welcome to the Aston University A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/medicine-mbchb or https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=2a8707f8-438b-4258-a4aa-9bd01321d61d&academicYearId=2020

Aston A100 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6408910

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi All

I am trying to choose medical schools before 15th October. I am from Birmingham. My GCSE is 8A* and 3A. Will do my UKCAT soon. I want to stay in Birmingham or very close to Birmingham if possible but to be a decent medical school as well. Any comments regarding Aston medical school?. I read the thread for 2019 entry and I am a little bit worried as it is a new school and the staff looks not organized enough as mentioned in the thread. Any advice, please?
(edited 4 years ago)
I am trying to choose medical schools before 15th October. I am from Birmingham. My GCSE is 8A* and 3A. Will do my UKCAT soon. I want to stay in Birmingham or very close to Birmingham if possible but to be a decent medical school as well. Any comments regarding Aston medical school?. I read the thread for 2019 entry and I am a little bit worried as it is a new school and the staff looks not organized enough as mentioned in this thread. Any advice, please?
I am thinking of applying to Aston Med School, I just wanted to know what the UCAT cut off was last year (if they had one) and how significant GCSE grades and A level predicted are for getting an interview. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out.
I'm thinking of applying to Aston.

GCSE: 6A* 1A 1B 1C
UCAT: 2610 / Band 2
A-Level Predicted: A*A*A* - Bio, Chem, Physics (EPQ too but no predicted grade)

what are my chances of getting in?
Reply 5
Original post by Ragiaelasfory
Hi All

I am trying to choose medical schools before 15th October. I am from Birmingham. My GCSE is 8A* and 3A. Will do my UKCAT soon. I want to stay in Birmingham or very close to Birmingham if possible but to be a decent medical school as well. Any comments regarding Aston medical school?. I read the thread for 2019 entry and I am a little bit worried as it is a new school and the staff looks not organized enough as mentioned in the thread. Any advice, please?

I am an international student. I wonder if anyone has any opinion on how does the medicine course at Aston compare to other newer programs? (UCLan, Buckingham, KMMS, etc?) Which one would you choose and why?
For 2019 entry, there was no ukcat cut off. Email the med school if you want to know if this is still the case.
I emailed the school and there's no ucat cut-off guys!!! Good luck to us all
Reply 8
What credentials academic and Ukat this school will look at
Do they look at SJT
Would score of 2450 with SJT band 4 worth applying to them
How is experience of students there
Thanks for help
Reply 9
Original post by Gastroepiploic
For 2019 entry, there was no ukcat cut off. Email the med school if you want to know if this is still the case.

Original post by Karinate.pbx
I emailed the school and there's no ucat cut-off guys!!! Good luck to us all

Generally when med schools say there is no UCAT cut off, they mean there is no minimum score you need to reach to apply. Aston assess 2/3 GCSEs and 1/3 UCAT and everyone is competing against one another, so unless they have changed their scoring system for this year, they will use your UCAT score to rank against other applicants, but a weaker score can be compensated for by stronger GCSEs and vice versa
on the website it says 40% of its places are for widening participation applicants. Does anyone know if this 40% is only the local students with WP data or if it includes all widening participation applicants? thanks
Reply 11
Original post by Lozc3
on the website it says 40% of its places are for widening participation applicants. Does anyone know if this 40% is only the local students with WP data or if it includes all widening participation applicants? thanks

All WP flags, I think. Being local is just one part of it
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok thank you!

Does anyone know how they select for interview? And how many people applied / got an offer last year?
Reply 13
Original post by Lozc3
Ok thank you!

Does anyone know how they select for interview? And how many people applied / got an offer last year?

GCSEs 2/3, UCAT 1/3. No idea of applicant numbers, sorry
when universities look at your GCSE results and UCAT score do they look at your overall score or at the subsections / individual grades?
Reply 15
Original post by Lozc3
when universities look at your GCSE results and UCAT score do they look at your overall score or at the subsections / individual grades?

It varies from med school to med school. Some ask for/score grades in particular GCSEs, a few score UCAT by subsection, but most just use your overall UCAT score
I have 9999988877A in GCSE and UCAT score of 725, band 2. Do I stand a good chance of getting shortlisted? I don't have predicted AAA (it seems Aston don't look at predicted) Is there anything else I can do to ensure I have a good chance of getting inThanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Are contextual applicants ranked separately?
@GANFYD please could you tell me my chances. My GCSE's were 3.5A* 6A 1B and my UCAT was 722.5 B1. I'm also resitting Bio and chem as I got ABB in my A levels, but I am predicted A*A in them
Original post by yazh0010
@GANFYD please could you tell me my chances. My GCSE's were 3.5A* 6A 1B and my UCAT was 722.5 B1. I'm also resitting Bio and chem as I got ABB in my A levels, but I am predicted A*A in them

@GANFYD

Quick Reply

Latest