The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hboland
those sitting a highers/a level chemistry exam, do you have any concerns about exams going forward with Covid predicament?

Conditional offer - need B in chem too 🙄. Starting to lose the plot with all the uncertainties!
Called yesterday to ask and the admissions woman was really nice and said not to stress but prepare like normal. She mentioned that this is all so unprecedented, no one knows what to do and they’re aware that they might have to make “difficult decisions” when I asked if it’s possible for them to revoke the offer if A levels don’t go ahead 😭. I sincerely hope that won’t happen! Don’t think I have the energy to go through another application cycle 🤮.

Original post by kingbb
Same for me. Has anyone with this requirement to submit proof already completed all their qualifying degree(s)? (i.e. graduated last year or earlier).

I’m a graduate and asked about this on the call yesterday too as it was also in my offer. They want proof of degree & maths GCSEs. I was told they are sending an email out soon regarding this.

Hope everyone’s keeping safe! :smile:
Reply 261
Hi, it seems everyone has heard back... either with good news or bad news... I am still yet to hear anything since my interview? I am slightly worried the fact I was required to sit the Higher Chemistry this year my be affecting their decision? Or can someone give me a different explanation as to why I haven’t heard back yet?
I'm wondering how/whether the course can go ahead as planned given the uncertainties around Covid-19 and the fact that universities are essentially closed? Anyone got any perspectives on that? I might email the office to ask if they have any idea or a plan in place if the universities do not open for physical study in September.
Reply 263
Original post by Soapp
Hi, it seems everyone has heard back... either with good news or bad news... I am still yet to hear anything since my interview? I am slightly worried the fact I was required to sit the Higher Chemistry this year my be affecting their decision? Or can someone give me a different explanation as to why I haven’t heard back yet?

Log onto ucas Track and see what your status is. That will inform you.
Reply 264
Original post by BTROTH
Log onto ucas Track and see what your status is. That will inform you.

Thanks yeah I’ve been checking that several times a day!! Just kept saying they were reviewing my application. Sent them an email this morning asking about the status of my application and if I should have heard back yet...and got an offer this afternoon! Weird coincidence!?
Original post by Soapp
Thanks yeah I’ve been checking that several times a day!! Just kept saying they were reviewing my application. Sent them an email this morning asking about the status of my application and if I should have heard back yet...and got an offer this afternoon! Weird coincidence!?

That is a strange coincidence haha! Congratulations on your offer :smile:
Hi all, unfortunately I missed the virtual offer holder event last night as I was working. Were there any updates regarding candidates with conditional offers/anything else said of note? Any information is much appreciated!
Original post by jkl17456
Hi all, unfortunately I missed the virtual offer holder event last night as I was working. Were there any updates regarding candidates with conditional offers/anything else said of note? Any information is much appreciated!

Hi jk,

There was no further information provided about conditional offers. The advice we were given was that they were awaiting instruction from the university (at least with respect to offers conditional on A-level/Higher Chemistry). The talk recapped a lot of the content in the virtual events, e.g. course content, structure, etc. Slide-wise, there was nothing all that new, apart from some information about university accommodation. There was also some discussion about the costs of accommodation during placements, and how there would be financial support in some instances but not others.

One of the key points raised (imo) was that it was not yet clear whether the academic year would start in Sept or be deferred until a later date due to the COVID19 pandemic.

The admin stated that she would send a PDF copy of the slides along with FAQs to all offer holders at some point, so I wouldn't worry too much about having missed out on much. The staff are very approachable, so if you have any questions, you shouldn't hesitate to contact them via email.
Original post by Corruptsoil
Hi jk,

There was no further information provided about conditional offers. The advice we were given was that they were awaiting instruction from the university (at least with respect to offers conditional on A-level/Higher Chemistry). The talk recapped a lot of the content in the virtual events, e.g. course content, structure, etc. Slide-wise, there was nothing all that new, apart from some information about university accommodation. There was also some discussion about the costs of accommodation during placements, and how there would be financial support in some instances but not others.

One of the key points raised (imo) was that it was not yet clear whether the academic year would start in Sept or be deferred until a later date due to the COVID19 pandemic.

The admin stated that she would send a PDF copy of the slides along with FAQs to all offer holders at some point, so I wouldn't worry too much about having missed out on much. The staff are very approachable, so if you have any questions, you shouldn't hesitate to contact them via email.

Thanks for the update, very helpful!
Off site social media group chats are not allowed on TSR.

Please do not ask for them, and continue your discussions in the forums.

St Andrews Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6346122

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Corruptsoil
Hi jk,

Hey!

I don't know if everyone got this email but today the Principal said that the semester will begin on September 14th which I think was as it was initially planned to be and that they chose not to defer the start dates if that helps!
Hi, Has anyone with a conditional offer firmed St. Andrews? Won’t be getting a grade this year as I was a private candidate who had minimal contact with my exam centre! Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?
Original post by Mango D
Hi, Has anyone with a conditional offer firmed St. Andrews? Won’t be getting a grade this year as I was a private candidate who had minimal contact with my exam centre! Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Hi, I have firmed St Andrews conditional but mine is for a 2:1 in my degree. There seems to be a few people in a simialr boat is you from what I have seen, I believe the St Andrews team sent an email saying they would look at candidates awaiting A level results over the next few weeks on a case to case basis? As far as I can tell noones heard anything yet
Hi guys, how long did it take St Andrews to get back to you with emails and student registration after you submitted proof of qualifications? I submitted mine last week and was accepted, but still waiting to hear from them. Thank you in advance!!

Latest

Trending

Trending