The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which of the Ballads did Coleridge write except Rime of the Ancient Mariner? Bit annoying my book does not say. :X
Reply 41
inrainbows
I have four exams in three days and I need an A for uni so I'm kind of running round going ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 exams in three days, and after that 3 exams on one day :frown:
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Which of the Ballads did Coleridge write except Rime of the Ancient Mariner? Bit annoying my book does not say. :X

nightingale, foster mother, the dungeon
Anyone got any themes/ideas for "the Dungeon"?. All I've got is seclusion and a sort of 'divorce' from nature...
Life and happiness
dukeofdarkcorners
Anyone got any themes/ideas for "the Dungeon"?. All I've got is seclusion and a sort of 'divorce' from nature...

social reform? it's pretty revolutionary saying that people shouldn't go to prison especially considering the date.
Reply 46
Dukeofdarkcorners..

I don't have many notes, but what might be of help is the fact that there is a small theme of religion running through the poem, in which the actions of God are being questioned "Is this the only cure? Merciful God!" This makes referance to his physical state, asking at what point did God allow people to be treated so badly. Also the suggestion of a personal comment made by Colderidge is a point that could be added, almost as a way of rebelling against the 'norm' of constantly obeying to God.

Again, in the last stanza, there is a softer tone when mentioning being healed (which occurs a few times throughout the collection) and a Christian influence is included in a prayer-like manner:
"Thou pourest on him thy soft influences,
Thy sunny hues, fair forms, and breathing sweets,
Thy melodies of woods, and winds, and waters"

Additionally, syballance emphasises the semantic field of nature which is largely in this part of the stanza.

Not much info, but hope that helps
Thanks a lot guys, really great stuff :smile:
Reply 48
dukeofdarkcorners

Kudos for 'Measure for Measure' quote username :biggrin:

I haven't really read the dungeon so can't comment.
Reply 49
inrainbows
I think the supernatural could come up...Rime of the Ancient Mariner has loads of it...
I don't reckon supernatural would come up by itself, although it may be part of the question. In January both the questions said "referring to at least 3 poems in the collection" so you couldn't only talk about Rime.
if supernatural comes up i think it will tie in with imagination which is actually quite a nice question because it's so broad that you're bound to find something
Reply 51
markdr
I don't reckon supernatural would come up by itself, although it may be part of the question. In January both the questions said "referring to at least 3 poems in the collection" so you couldn't only talk about Rime.

I think supernatural/imagination could come up. Many poems champion imagination over reason.
yeah

if it does come up remember wordsworth was more inclined towards imagination while coleridge was focused on the supernatural
Reply 53
Don't forget the lovely preface for the lyrical ballads for context. Ahh good old Wordsworth slagging off Coleridge and making him go into a crazy drug induced state...who needs enemies eh lol

Also context stuff we've been told to look at stuff to do with what the Romantics stood for ie-Mother =goddess figure, going against the Classical Period, French Revolution, Rousseau (Social Contract, Man is born free but everywhere in chains, Noble Savage), Believed that adults ruined children's innocence, obsessed with Education, Peak District etc

I can so do context but this poncy poetry does not stay in my head AT ALL!!!
Reply 54
willenium
yeah

if it does come up remember wordsworth was more inclined towards imagination while coleridge was focused on the supernatural

:yy:

I think that would be a good question...
thinking about ending my essay 'in conclusion, wordsworth was a pansy and a premature hippy and coleridge was a smack head jesus freak and their success as romantic poets is undermined by the fact that they died old and cynical, rather than young and beautiful like keats.'
Reply 56
That would be immense, you may get extra marks for an 'individual response'
Reply 57
FoeGeddaBowDeet

He did 4 in the book and I know its completely annoying it doesn't say who did what. Well he did

Marinere
Foster Mothers Tale (extract from play)
Dungeon (soliloquy from same play)
The Nightingale

thinking about ending my essay 'in conclusion, wordsworth was a pansy and a premature hippy and coleridge was a smack head jesus freak and their success as romantic poets is undermined by the fact that they died old and cynical, rather than young and beautiful like keats.'

haha I'd give it an A
Reply 58
Ed.
That would be immense, you may get extra marks for an 'individual response'
Yeah, as in 1/20 instead of 0/20, lol.
The poems were revolutionary because they are some of the first of theyre kind, they are all about human passions, human incidents and human characters. They also use simplistic language which is atypical of the poems of that time where controversial and often formal language is used.

exam tomorrow, just found out its closed book and im DYING >:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending