The Student Room Group

English lit paper 2

I was doing revision for my paper 2 english lit exam (im doing Blood Brothers which is a musical) and when listening to the songs, I noticed that the chord progressions for some of the songs mirror each other. Does anyone know if I would be able to write about chrod progressions or rhythms in the songs as a part of my exam? Im not sure if the examiners would give me the marks for that kind of stuff since it dosent techinacally fall under analysis (I dont think).
Reply 1
you could definitely mention it, I think that would make your essay more in depth and would be something good to include. I agree tho, idk if it will fall under analysis so why dont you try and make it part of a contextual point? so you could analyse lyrics (I didnt do blood brothers but I imagine you analyse the lyrics as well as the speech right?) and then as part of contextual points you could talk about how this would be received by an audience and what the chord progressions might evoke/make someone feel/ why they add to whatever message is trying to be said/why they might have been included.
Original post by TeaLeafzz
I was doing revision for my paper 2 english lit exam (im doing Blood Brothers which is a musical) and when listening to the songs, I noticed that the chord progressions for some of the songs mirror each other. Does anyone know if I would be able to write about chrod progressions or rhythms in the songs as a part of my exam? Im not sure if the examiners would give me the marks for that kind of stuff since it dosent techinacally fall under analysis (I dont think).

Hey, i'm also doing BB do you have any tips on writing the essays, like what to talk about technique wise etc. Also it would be extremely helpful if you had an essay to send just to help me out a little bit. I sat lit a year early and got a 5, aiming/ predicted a 6, maybe a 7 so i'm trying to get a 7 but struggling a little with BB at the moment.
Reply 3
Original post by libbieb
Hey, i'm also doing BB do you have any tips on writing the essays, like what to talk about technique wise etc. Also it would be extremely helpful if you had an essay to send just to help me out a little bit. I sat lit a year early and got a 5, aiming/ predicted a 6, maybe a 7 so i'm trying to get a 7 but struggling a little with BB at the moment.

I think the main tips I have for higher grade essays is remembering to include context and expand on it and analyse both structural and language techniques. If you need it, some of the contextual info i can remember off the top of my head is; the unemployment rate in liverpool at the time (around 25 percent), social class and the effect it had on education and poverty (normally working class people would be sent to 'secondary modern schools' where the aim was to basically have children leave school early to work in factories. and council houses of those living in poverty were very cramped and had no space for children to play), Maralyn monroe who is obviously mentioned a few times in the musical and simone de beauvoir who links to mrs Lyons (she stated that the three roles of a woman were 'wife, mother and entertainer'). I think as far as techniques go it really depends on what quotes youre analysing but i would definetly try to mention the reoccuring motif of money and debt because it emphasises how important money is in the story. If you have any specific themes or quotes you need help analysing i could definetly try to help with them as well :-)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by libbieb

Hey, i just saw your message and cant reply because i only created a profile two days ago and accounts have to be at least three days old before they can send private messages (which is pretty annoying). But it would still be cool if you sent me your essay now and i can look at it today and give you advice on it tomorrow when im able to message you back :-)
Original post by TeaLeafzz
Hey, i just saw your message and cant reply because i only created a profile two days ago and accounts have to be at least three days old before they can send private messages (which is pretty annoying). But it would still be cool if you sent me your essay now and i can look at it today and give you advice on it tomorrow when im able to message you back :-)

Yes thats perfect. Thank you so much! I’ll send a copy through private message !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending