The Student Room Group

Chemistry or English Literature A level?

I’ve just finished Year 11 and will be doing my A levels next year. I have decided to definitely do Maths, Further Maths and Physics for A level but I am stuck for what to choose for my fourth A level. I either want to do Chemistry or English Literature but I’m not sure which one. I’m predicted to get 8/9s in both subjects but I can’t decide on which one I would enjoy to study more and I feel that by taking English Literature it will be far too different from my other subjects. I was wondering if anyone who studied either of these two subjects could give me their experiences of them and any advice for my decision.
I feel like English lit would be the easier of the two but looking at your current grades, that’s not really an issue. Personally, I would pick chemistry since your subjects are more science oriented and it would fit nicely while keeping options open. I would also suggest taking into consideration what Career path you are considering and what you hope to do at uni (if you’re going of course)
Reply 2
Original post by Claydo66
I feel like English lit would be the easier of the two but looking at your current grades, that’s not really an issue. Personally, I would pick chemistry since your subjects are more science oriented and it would fit nicely while keeping options open. I would also suggest taking into consideration what Career path you are considering and what you hope to do at uni (if you’re going of course)

Career wise, I want to study physics or engineering at university which don’t require chemistry.
nothing wrong w doing a more essay based subject alongside your science ones- i do english lit and maths and i like having a mixture of different things to be doing so i don't get bored. chemistry may go better w your subjects as it is a science and i'm guessing you want to do something mathsy or sciency in the future judging by the subjects you have picked.
english lit is a lot of work- i wouldn't underestimate the amount of effort you need to be putting in as there's always something i could be doing for the subject. it gets a bit much sometimes but if you plan your time well you'll be okay. most schools will allow some flexibility on choices so you could just wait and see what happens results day:smile:
Original post by AbbyRH
Career wise, I want to study physics or engineering at university which don’t require chemistry.

I still would go for chemistry as a personal choice purely because I prefer it and so will be more engaged and do better (regardless of difficultly level)
i’m in exactly the same position right now. what did you end up deciding?
Reply 6
I'm in the same position, would you mind sharing what you ended up choosing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending