The Student Room Group

A levels for going into law

If I do psychology chemistry and sociology is that good for going into law or do I need English literature? I want to do English literature but 2 months have already passed so I don’t know if I can pick it up with the amount of content they have done.
Original post by Randommmm101
If I do psychology chemistry and sociology is that good for going into law or do I need English literature? I want to do English literature but 2 months have already passed so I don’t know if I can pick it up with the amount of content they have done.

Law degrees (even LLBs) don't require specific subjects i.e. you can usually apply for an LLB with any random 3 A Levels so long you have high enough grades and good enough personal statement.

The top end unis would expect your subjects to be challenging and academic for your application to be competitive. You would also be expected to do an LNAT for some degree courses.

English Lit is just as good as chemistry in terms of subject. Psychology and sociology might come across a bit easier (from what other law students have said - I don't, not intending to, and never have studied law). However, for many unis, any of these 4 subjects should be fine.

My experience of English Lit is not a good one, so my opinion of the subject is biased. However, with 2 months passed, I think it's still possible for you to catch up; it will involve a lot of reading though.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Law degrees (even LLBs) don't require specific subjects i.e. you can usually apply for an LLB with any random 3 A Levels so long you have high enough grades and good enough personal statement.

The top end unis would expect your subjects to be challenging and academic for your application to be competitive. You would also be expected to do an LNAT for some degree courses.

English Lit is just as good as chemistry in terms of subject. Psychology and sociology might come across a bit easier (from what other law students have said - I don't, not intending to, and never have studied law). However, for many unis, any of these 4 subjects should be fine.

My experience of English Lit is not a good one, so my opinion of the subject is biased. However, with 2 months passed, I think it's still possible for you to catch up; it will involve a lot of reading though.

I’m aiming to go into the top universities so maybe I’ll ask the head of my sixthform to change to English literature. I just hope I will be able to catch up with the content. Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest