The Student Room Group

My friend failed my osce mock help 3rd year medicine

I feel so bad. every single person performed better than me (we were in groups).. I feel so crap and just want to give up on life. please help me someone. i suck at communication skills a lot.
Is it histories or physical exams that you are finding difficult?
Original post by ugliestboieva
I feel so bad. every single person performed better than me (we were in groups).. I feel so crap and just want to give up on life. please help me someone. i suck at communication skills a lot.
(edited 4 years ago)
it's just a mock so nothing official being done about it but i am extremely worried about my real exams soon. I just lack medical knowledge tbh. i had to explain a drug therapy to a patient and I couldn't get any of the points :frown:
it's just a mock so nothing official being done about it but i am extremely worried about my real exams soon. I just lack medical knowledge tbh. i had to explain a drug therapy to a patient and I couldn't get any of the points :frown:

im not a med student so dont know about the actual content, but it sounds like you need to try some new revision strategies so that you can retain the knowledge better.
also talk to whoever graded you for direct feedback, and other professors as much as you need because they will want to help you! perhaps if they can explain the topics you find hardest to you then a new way of thinking about it could work!
good luck xx
i have less than a week :frown: We are expected to know do histories, clinical skills, examinations, explaining, motivational interviewing, prescribing and ethics - it's all just getting a bit too much!!
with regards to extra support, is this something medical schools do? I know in secondary school you are offered support after school etc but i didn't think that happened in medicine?
Reply 6
I disagree with this. Some med schools are harsh and actually try to trip you up, especially in OSCE’s.
Reply 7
i have less than a week :frown: We are expected to know do histories, clinical skills, examinations, explaining, motivational interviewing, prescribing and ethics - it's all just getting a bit too much!!

With less than a week until the real thing (have I got that right?), there isn’t much you can do. You’ll have to rely on the knowledge you already have, and you’ve made it this far so you must be doing something right. I’m guessing this is your first experience of failure in an OSCE and tbh it’s pretty cruel that you’re being given your main practise exam only a week before the real thing.

At this point I suggest you get in as much face to face practise with other students as you can. Go over explaining stations, prescribing, ethics etc again and again and again until you get them right. Use mark schemes from previous years exams and any good OSCE book for medical students. Histories, examinations and clinical skills you should know like the back of your hand by now as you will have been shown them and practised them many times on your placements during the year. Focus more on the things you don’t get much teaching on. Furthermore, work on keeping a positive state of mind until and during the exam. Panicking is counter productive whereas if you’re calm and confident you’ll retain more information and score all the marks for professionalism (as BS as they are, I know).

I wish you good luck!
i have no friends ..
Reply 9
i have no friends ..

Is that all you took from 2 paragraphs of advice?
@ugliestboieva I understand that your current state of being may make you feel down and as if you are a loser. But the problem has within itself the solution. From the sound of it things are not really going well for you and I understand how this can make the world a gloomy place. Since it is your current state of being which isn't great you can change it as you are an individual and an intelligent and hardworking one as well seeing that you are doing medicine. Life is suffering and things are hard and things will never go the way you want it to and maybe you don't have any friends or don't know anything about anything. But things don't have to stay like that even if they are. YOU have the power to change things. The negative thoughts and self-pity are temptations which lead nowhere. Victimisation of the self only puts oneself down and makes things worse. You are going to have to empower yourself because you can and because you have a light within you which you must let shine onto the world. You are going to have to believe in yourself and become confident and take responsibility. Rewire your brain if you must. Stop naming yourself ugliest boy ever because you are not. You deserve better than that and no one else is going to give you respect before you give it to yourself. I am only telling you all this because I am in a similar situation and learning how to be resilient. Life will keep going on and so must we because other people truly need us and we owe ourselves that bit of love to keep working towards our dreams and accepting our failures as a part of life and not being too hard on ourselves and yet not become someone filled with self-pity. Only you hold the answers to your problems and you have the power to make your life and the world a better place and this is a challenge indeed. But one worth fighting for wouldn't you agree? An old woman once told me as long as you have given your best shot you've already succeeded regardless of the outcome and nothing is truer than that. If you need some motivation I highly recommend Dr Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life which lifted me out of darkness when I was facing hard times. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours.
If that’s the case, explain to me how people do fail medical school exams and have to withdraw, not for lack of work or mitigating circumstances. If most people did just pass a resit, nobody would be repeating years or be forced to withdraw. But I’m sure there are in fact many people doing exactly that right now. I think your views represent a lack of awareness about people who go through failure at medical school - something which is not talked about often at medical school and very poorly supported by staff who apparently want you to pass.

I think it’s worth mentioning that someone who fails a postgraduate exam is still a doctor and will still be paid to work no matter how many attempts they take to pass the exam. Someone who fails an exam at medical school has to go through resitting, repeating years and being pushed further back from graduating - all while still unpaid and paying for tuition fees themselves. I don’t think that’s a fair comparison to make.
(edited 4 years ago)
Look bro, there’s no need to be aggressive. All I’m pointing out to you is your lack of acknowledgment on people who don’t just “pass the resit”. Only someone who hasn’t experienced failure personally would try and justify themselves like you just have. Lots of people actually struggle more than you know. Get off your high horse and don’t be so rude.

Who do you think you are telling me it’s ok not to agree with you? You’re so patronising it’s unbelievable. You aren’t the be all and end all authority on everything Medicine, you know.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Med_destiny
@ugliestboieva I understand that your current state of being may make you feel down and as if you are a loser. But the problem has within itself the solution. From the sound of it things are not really going well for you and I understand how this can make the world a gloomy place. Since it is your current state of being which isn't great you can change it as you are an individual and an intelligent and hardworking one as well seeing that you are doing medicine. Life is suffering and things are hard and things will never go the way you want it to and maybe you don't have any friends or don't know anything about anything. But things don't have to stay like that even if they are. YOU have the power to change things. The negative thoughts and self-pity are temptations which lead nowhere. Victimisation of the self only puts oneself down and makes things worse. You are going to have to empower yourself because you can and because you have a light within you which you must let shine onto the world. You are going to have to believe in yourself and become confident and take responsibility. Rewire your brain if you must. Stop naming yourself ugliest boy ever because you are not. You deserve better than that and no one else is going to give you respect before you give it to yourself. I am only telling you all this because I am in a similar situation and learning how to be resilient. Life will keep going on and so must we because other people truly need us and we owe ourselves that bit of love to keep working towards our dreams and accepting our failures as a part of life and not being too hard on ourselves and yet not become someone filled with self-pity. Only you hold the answers to your problems and you have the power to make your life and the world a better place and this is a challenge indeed. But one worth fighting for wouldn't you agree? An old woman once told me as long as you have given your best shot you've already succeeded regardless of the outcome and nothing is truer than that. If you need some motivation I highly recommend Dr Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life which lifted me out of darkness when I was facing hard times. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours.

Cheers for the encouragement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending