The Student Room Group

BMAT for 2020 Entry

Please read this reminder about restrictions to posting about the BMAT over 30th/31st October 2019 >>

Before posting on the weekend of the 31st-1st September please make sure you read this advice from Cambridge Admissions Testing which applies to everyone who is taking the BMAT.

What is the BMAT?
The BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test) is a 2 hour examination required for entry to a number of Medical Schools in the United Kingdom, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Spain and Netherlands as well as a selection of Dentistry and Biomedical Science courses.

When is the BMAT?
The BMAT examination can be taken on one of two dates in 2019. The first date is 31st August 2019, and is suitable for all BMAT applicants except Oxford applicants. The second BMAT examination date is 30th October 2019; this is suitable for all BMAT applicants. Students can choose to take the BMAT examination on either one of these dates at a registered centre/school.

Who has to take the BMAT?

Undergraduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University College London, Brighton and Sussex Medical School, Lancaster University, University of Leeds, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore), University of Malaya (Malaysia), Thammasat University CICM, (Thailand), Mahidol University (Thailand).

Graduate Medicine Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Biomedical Science Applicants to: University of Oxford, Imperial College London.

Dentistry Applicants to: University of Leeds, Thammasat University (Thailand), University of Melbourne (Australia)

How to Prepare for the BMAT?
The first and most important step is to consider the BMAT like any other A-Level or GCSE examination, and ignore any mention of the BMAT as 'an examination that cannot be prepared for.' There is a statistically significant correlation between the amount one prepares for the BMAT, and one's BMAT score.

Section 1 (Aptitude and Skills) - 35 MCQ, 60 Minutes
Question Types: Problem Solving, Data Handling & Critical Thinking

A) Resources - Make use of the abundance of free practice resources available for Section 1. In addition to the Official BMAT Past Papers, Oxford TSA Past Papers provide additional practice for Problem Solving questions whilst OCR Critical Thinking Unit 2 is a very useful practice resource for Critical Thinking Questions.

B) Recognise Pitfalls - In contrast to most A-Level examinations, BMAT Section 1 is full of tricks and trips, intended to misguide students. Fortunately, there are only so-many tricks that the BMAT are able to use. Hence, each time you come across one of these, add it to your 'personal list', to avoid making the same mistake in future practice.

Section 2 (Scientific Knowledge and Applications) - 27 MCQ, 30 Minutes
Question Types: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics

A) Official Resource Guide - With this being the official resource guide, there really is no better resource for Section 2 preparation. Most students find it best to quickly review the whole guide and highlight any topics which they have not covered at GCSE level for further learning. Bear in mind that whilst Section 2 is supposed to be 'GCSE Level'; the examination can assess topics which you may not have covered until AS and sometimes even A2 due to variation in exam board specifications.

B) Timing - Half the challenge of Section 2 is the limited time; hence, it essential to practice this section under strict timed conditions. Fast mental maths, confident use of fractions and a good background Biology knowledge, will ensure that you have additional time for those challenging Physics and Chemistry calculations.

C) Resources - Once you have completed all official and BMAT specific resources, GCSE Bitesize is of some use, whilst you may wish to also consider practicing GCSE Maths Calculator papers, without a calculator in order to further improve your mental maths.

D) BMAT Subject Guide - Past Papers are categorised by subjects. Useful resource if you are stronger/weaker in certain subjects.

Section 3 (Written Task) - 1 Essay (Choice of 3), 30 Minutes
Question Types: Topical Medical Issues, Medical Ethics, Medical Philosophy, Veterinary Medicine

A) Address all parts of the question - Each question normally has three or four parts. Regardless of how good your essay is, if you do not address all parts of the question, your essay will be capped at 3/3.5 as per the Section 3 Official Marking Criteria.

B) Plan - With 30 minutes, and one A4 sheet provided, this section is the least time restricted. Essays which score highest are those which are well structured and address all parts of the question, bringing in additional topical examples and knowledge.

Free BMAT Resources
A) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 1)
B) Official BMAT Past Papers (Style 2)
C) Past Paper Worked Solutions
D) Section 1 Practice Questions
E) Section 2 Practice Questions
F) Practice Questions
G) BMAT Subject Guide
H) BMAT Articles

Essential Books
A) Preparing for the BMAT: The Official Guide to the Biomedical Admissions Test
B) BMAT Past Paper Worked Solutions (2003-Present)

(adapted from post by rmd141)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been told that there's a CGPesque online textbook that lays out all the material needed for section 2 of the BMAT. However, I cannot find it and every time I follow a link it takes me to a webpage which allows me to book a BMAT test, but doesn't allow me to access any eLearning. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone know how to get access to the textbook?
Reply 2
Try the link below and click access guide:

https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat/section-2-preparation/

If it doesn't work for you; they may be updating the content presently
Who else isn't doing so hot in the analysing data questions in the bmat past papers ( the long passage and data questions with like 4 questions following it ) and if you are doing really well in that section, can you give me some tips or advice?
i have recently read the term b-mat, and i feel in my gcses i will get 3-5 a*s, is it to do with work experience? does this look okay for my cv?
-dentistry
- library volunteering
- form captain
- st johns (have applied)
- out school badmintion
of course i will try to increase the activities in 6th form
Reply 5
12. All four corners of a rectangle are on the circumference of a circle. The rectangle has a perimeter of 24 cm. The ratio of length :width for the rectangle is 3:1
[diagram not to scale] (the diagram is just a circle with a rectangle in it)

What is the area of the shaded region in cm2 ?

the answer is F. (45π/2)−27

I know it's not the hardest but I was just wondering if there's simpler/faster ways of working it out or how you would do it.
thanks!
what are you guys using to revise BMAT?
What one does everyone think is better for prep for the BMAT?? The online course on medic mind or medify???
Original post by princesslife
What one does everyone think is better for prep for the BMAT?? The online course on medic mind or medify???

Ngl, I used medic mind, it's kinda **** tbh, I struggle alot with section 1 so don't really have any tips for that but for section 2 it's best to go through all the past papers and answer all of the questions and fully understand the ones u got wrong - the medify explanations are very gud, section is pretty repetitive similar to a level exams so it's that bad, if u get ur timing right and leave the calc/maths questions to last making sure to do the easiest questions till last just incase u think too much about a certain maths question and wastw ur time thus leading u panicking and rushing through the other questions then I'm sure u will be gud. Don't neglect reviewing the answers. Section 3 isn't that bad too, for that the example medic mind essay answers are pretty gud. Section 1 however is just horrible, I struggle alot with the data analysis questions and literally loose like 8 marks just on that. It's a very hard exam and in my opinion way harder than a levels(others might feel differently if they are gud in section 1 n stuff).
Original post by Krunker482
Ngl, I used medic mind, it's kinda **** tbh, I struggle alot with section 1 so don't really have any tips for that but for section 2 it's best to go through all the past papers and answer all of the questions and fully understand the ones u got wrong - the medify explanations are very gud, section is pretty repetitive similar to a level exams so it's that bad, if u get ur timing right and leave the calc/maths questions to last making sure to do the easiest questions till last just incase u think too much about a certain maths question and wastw ur time thus leading u panicking and rushing through the other questions then I'm sure u will be gud. Don't neglect reviewing the answers. Section 3 isn't that bad too, for that the example medic mind essay answers are pretty gud. Section 1 however is just horrible, I struggle alot with the data analysis questions and literally loose like 8 marks just on that. It's a very hard exam and in my opinion way harder than a levels(others might feel differently if they are gud in section 1 n stuff).

Oh okie dokes. I haven't even started!!!! So do you think medify is better?
Original post by princesslife
Oh okie dokes. I haven't even started!!!! So do you think medify is better?

Defo, especially for section 2 cuz it basically teaches u everything u need to know about the topic too thus maximising the efficiency at which u study. So say u did a question about circuits, and the question was about parallel circuits with different resistors in each wire and it asked how the current would vary when turning a switch on and off, then medify would first tell u what topic the question is about specifically, then teach u everything u need to know about the topic. So in this case, everything about parallel circuits and short circuits and basically equip u with more info than u need in that question type so that ur good with all possible questions of that topic. And then it would explain how to get the answer. Honestly if medify did something similar for a levels, everyone would be set, but for a levels u need to do this the manual way. But Yh, that's the best way to study for section 2,and then given that u don't make any stupid mistakes in reading the question wrong or something, u should then be able to answer all the questions in the exam and there shouldn't be any reason for u to not get 9.0 or even full marks(but in the test day it would be different, so chances are that your bound to make some stupid mistakes here and there cuz of the pressure, but if u really constantly put ur self under that exam pressure, then ur marks lost from stupid mistakes would be minimised. Try to aim for 9.0 ofcourse, but be more than happy with anything above a 6.0, cuz then ur considered among the best of students across the country-the students that are usually applying to Cambridge n stuff.) and to be fair the papers are pretty short too, so u can really prepare for the exam in 2 days if u focus hard for like 8 to 10 hours per day and should be able to easily get above 6.0. Gl for ur exam, it's a hard one so don't stress it too much.
I've acc never seen anyone try to make a predictions for the BMAT, r u guys up for making a predictions for section 2?
Original post by Krunker482
Defo, especially for section 2 cuz it basically teaches u everything u need to know about the topic too thus maximising the efficiency at which u study. So say u did a question about circuits, and the question was about parallel circuits with different resistors in each wire and it asked how the current would vary when turning a switch on and off, then medify would first tell u what topic the question is about specifically, then teach u everything u need to know about the topic. So in this case, everything about parallel circuits and short circuits and basically equip u with more info than u need in that question type so that ur good with all possible questions of that topic. And then it would explain how to get the answer. Honestly if medify did something similar for a levels, everyone would be set, but for a levels u need to do this the manual way. But Yh, that's the best way to study for section 2,and then given that u don't make any stupid mistakes in reading the question wrong or something, u should then be able to answer all the questions in the exam and there shouldn't be any reason for u to not get 9.0 or even full marks(but in the test day it would be different, so chances are that your bound to make some stupid mistakes here and there cuz of the pressure, but if u really constantly put ur self under that exam pressure, then ur marks lost from stupid mistakes would be minimised. Try to aim for 9.0 ofcourse, but be more than happy with anything above a 6.0, cuz then ur considered among the best of students across the country-the students that are usually applying to Cambridge n stuff.) and to be fair the papers are pretty short too, so u can really prepare for the exam in 2 days if u focus hard for like 8 to 10 hours per day and should be able to easily get above 6.0. Gl for ur exam, it's a hard one so don't stress it too much.

Deffo will get medify then!!! Imagine if they did it for alevels... life would be great. Thank you so much for all the info.

Good luck to you too!!!!
Ill be taking mine in october, im pretty nervous already!
From what ive been told, each uni has different ranking criteria, like ucl apparently prints out your essay to talk about :?

In terms of preparing for it, ive been going through the online material i can find and a couple of textbooks. im finding it quite difficult to know how to study for it since the resources are slightly different, though the clearest tips ive got are from a couple of friends who have already applied.
ive also been to a couple of 'BMAT day' style things, which i would definitely recommend.
I know Imperial college london is hosting one too and it it looks promising as its also from medical students whove done the same. ill drop it here, good luck everyone!!:
Original post by ilovescrubs
Ill be taking mine in october, im pretty nervous already!
From what ive been told, each uni has different ranking criteria, like ucl apparently prints out your essay to talk about :?

In terms of preparing for it, ive been going through the online material i can find and a couple of textbooks. im finding it quite difficult to know how to study for it since the resources are slightly different, though the clearest tips ive got are from a couple of friends who have already applied.
ive also been to a couple of 'BMAT day' style things, which i would definitely recommend.
I know Imperial college london is hosting one too and it it looks promising as its also from medical students whove done the same. ill drop it here, good luck everyone!!:

must have forgotten:
https: //www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/entry-to-medicine-day-bmat-personal-statement-by-imperial-medics-tickets-66799042735
Reply 15
BMAT 2018 Section 1 - Q18:

Three-year old Arthur has a junior skittles set. It contains four red skittles, four yellow skittles,
three balls and a felt mat.

Six of the eight skittles are placed on the spots (there are two extra in the set in case of loss or
damage). The balls must then be bowled from behind the line at the other end of the mat.
How many different arrangements of red and yellow skittles are possible on the six circles on
the mat?

A 20
B 30
C 35
D 45
E 50
F 70

Any ideas?
I think it is E, 50 but I could be wrong.
So from the eight skittles we need six. So the possible scenarios are: four red two yellow, four yellow two red, and three yellow three red.
We work each out and add them up. There are six circles so ignoring colours for now there are 6! ways off arranging the balls on the circles. If we have four red and two yellow that’s 4! x 2!. So first calc is 6!/(4!x2!)= 15. The same probability will be for the next one so that totals to 30. And then 6!/(3!x3!) = 20.
30 + 20 = 50 so E. I may be wrong though.
For those who’ve taken the BMAT, how accurate are the scores for BMAT last year papers in gauging your actual score?
I'm doing the UCAT test and also want to do the BMAT in October of this year. But my mate told me if I do BMAT in october I won't know my results when I/if I apply to a BMAT university so its risky. Is this true?
You will find out your results after your application is sent off, yes.
The exam is end of October and you send your application off mid-october so you won't know how good of a shot you will have at BMAT uni's. I'd only apply to 1 or 2 BMAT uni's because of this unless your UCAT is dreadful in which case applying for more BMAT uni's isn't a bad idea

Latest