The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Sososnake
Does anyone the new stuff to the specification this year compared to last year?

You doing BMAT too ? Welcome bruddah

Where did you apply to?
Reply 761
Original post by yankang.qi
I dont think you can change anymore though.

?

I believe within 14 days after submitting your application, you can swap your choice on Track. But I don't know if you can do that with a bmat uni- need to ask school
Original post by Exdoz
I believe within 14 days after submitting your application, you can swap your choice on Track. But I don't know if you can do that with a bmat uni- need to ask school

You can't change medical schools anymore because its after 15th october
Reply 763
You can't change medical schools anymore because its after 15th october

Yh I just realised it doesn't apply to med students :/ But it's fine.

For Section 3, the essay:
- Do you need to write any introduction (like defining the statement or stating your overall view at the start e.g: "To some degree, I do agree with the statement 'X' "
- Do you need to write any conclusion (like basically rounding up.. actually I don't know how to write one)- what do you have to write in your conclusion ?
- Would you always need to write FOR and AGAINST ?

I have just started revising for the essay (should be fine as a 3A is apparently quite easy- not to sound too confident) and I do not know how to formulate the overall piece. Any general advice for this section?
Original post by Exdoz
You doing BMAT too ? Welcome bruddah

Where did you apply to?

Cambridge for bmat
I dont think you can change anymore though.

?

What’s new to the bmat specification for section 2? I know they’ve added magnetism for physics but what else is there?
Original post by Exdoz
Yh I just realised it doesn't apply to med students :/ But it's fine.

For Section 3, the essay:
- Do you need to write any introduction (like defining the statement or stating your overall view at the start e.g: "To some degree, I do agree with the statement 'X' "
- Do you need to write any conclusion (like basically rounding up.. actually I don't know how to write one)- what do you have to write in your conclusion ?
- Would you always need to write FOR and AGAINST ?

I have just started revising for the essay (should be fine as a 3A is apparently quite easy- not to sound too confident) and I do not know how to formulate the overall piece. Any general advice for this section?

Make sure to answer each of the marking points. Use the marking point saying explain what this statement means as an introduction then only include your opinion after you have argued for and against the statement.
What’s new to the bmat specification for section 2? I know they’ve added magnetism for physics but what else is there?

Not sure but there is an online guide that you can read.
https://www.preparation.admissionstesting.org/login/index.php
You do need to sign up, but its free and very useful.
Not sure but there is an online guide that you can read.
https://www.preparation.admissionstesting.org/login/index.php
You do need to sign up, but its free and very useful.

I know about that, I’ve made notes on it but just wondering how much the specification has changed from last year
Reply 769
I know about that, I’ve made notes on it but just wondering how much the specification has changed from last year

We're meant to be following the 2019 spec right?
The one that says: "Assessments from August 2019 to July 2020". Is this the one?
Reply 770
Make sure to answer each of the marking points. Use the marking point saying explain what this statement means as an introduction then only include your opinion after you have argued for and against the statement.

Could you give an example maybe ?
Original post by Exdoz
Could you give an example maybe ?

https://www.admissionstesting.org/Images/258236-past-paper-2014-section-3-responses-with-examiner-comments.pdf

I'm not really sure about that one, sorry.
I'm guessing not too much though as most of the past paper questions are still on this spec.
Reply 772
How can you involve 'example case studies' in section 3? Like where do you even find the case studies from- do you get it from reading the NHS-related news on a daily or... ?
Original post by Exdoz
How can you involve 'example case studies' in section 3? Like where do you even find the case studies from- do you get it from reading the NHS-related news on a daily or... ?

I don't think you really need to give specific examples but to support your argument you can give more general examples.
Reply 774
When writing paragraphs in section 3, do you need to have a blank line in between each paragraph to clearly show they are separate, or can you just indent it ?
Reply 775
I don't think you really need to give specific examples but to support your argument you can give more general examples.

Giving specific examples boosts your marks. And what do you mean by general examples? Any example you have (you can think on the spot :biggrin: )
Original post by Exdoz
Giving specific examples boosts your marks. And what do you mean by general examples? Any example you have (you can think on the spot :biggrin: )

Well it really just depends on the question.
There is money to be made from not curing disease.
What do you think is meant by this statement? Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you
agree that there is money to be made from disease?

A general example for this would be how pharmaceutical companies, in general, make money off of not curing diseases. I haven't really come across any sample answers with specific examples. I don't think they are really expecting specific examples though as most people will not have them. Also, any related stories you may have, might not necessarily be 100% related.

Also, its probably okay to just make an indent, as long as they can see its the start of a new paragraph.
Reply 777
Extent to agreement in section 3 is basically the conclusion right?
Reply 778
Whenever you write about a new point, does it have to be a new paragraph? Let's say you have 2 points FOR the statement- do you include these in the same paragraph or in two different paragraphs?

Also, in the conclusion when you talk about 'To what extent you agree with the statement', can you finally become more bias towards a side? Like can you say 'In my opinion...'

Latest

Trending

Trending