The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
I don't know how to answer 'Explain what this statement means' and 'To what extent do you agree...' parts in the essay. Any basic starting tips?
I'm going to be doing my first essay, that's why
Original post by slimthicc
that's what i've been trying to do, do you have any tips on actually learning the content and being able to apply it in questions?

hmmm, thats quite general. I don't really have an answer to that. Tell me what you are thinking when you are doing the questions. Do you see them and think, I can't do this at all or do you have an idea of how to do it? If you get it wrong and see the answer, can you work out why you got it wrong quickly or do you need to search it up?
Reply 802
For the FOR and AGAINST sides in the essay, do my 'against' points have to directly contradict/oppose the arguments I made in FOR, or does it have to be points that oppose the ACTUAL statement?? For example if my FOR point said: "GPs must work from 9-5...' and my AGAINST point said: 'On the other hand, some may say GPs shouldn't work 9-5 because...'

Which one is it?
Original post by yankang.qi
hmmm, thats quite general. I don't really have an answer to that. Tell me what you are thinking when you are doing the questions. Do you see them and think, I can't do this at all or do you have an idea of how to do it? If you get it wrong and see the answer, can you work out why you got it wrong quickly or do you need to search it up?

usually, i think i have an idea of how to do it and it turns out I'm wrong :/ but sometimes i don't even know how to approach the question, i've already read through the entire assumed knowledge and made notes on the physics and maths but when i'm actually given a maths question, none of my prior knowledge seems to help?? dajsd it's so frustrating, i wish i just took all sciences for a level instead of trying to be quirky
Reply 804
Probably depends on the points you have, but in the most common situations I would say that the for arguments go together and the against arguments go in another paragraph. A situation where you wouldn't is when two of the arguments directly oppose each other, then you would put them together.
Personally, I wouldn't say 'In my opinion'. I would say something more along things lines of "Based on the arguments for and against, insert statement is correct because insert argument for outweighs insert argument against".

So about this: "Based on the arguments for and against, insert statement is correct because insert argument for outweighs insert argument against",
can I introduce 2 new points- e.g a new FOR point and a new AGAINST point? Or does it have to be the points I wrote earlier.

Also, is the 'To what extent do you agree' the conclusion, or do I have to write a separate paragraph for that?
Reply 805
So a statement that is score 3 or above (to be specific- when answering the healthcare question), you will always need to write introduction (what statement means), 2 FOR points, 2 AGAINST points, a 'To what extent do you agree' paragraph, and a conclusion, to get the 3 or above right?

Or do I use a different format?
Original post by Exdoz
So about this: "Based on the arguments for and against, insert statement is correct because insert argument for outweighs insert argument against",
can I introduce 2 new points- e.g a new FOR point and a new AGAINST point? Or does it have to be the points I wrote earlier.

Also, is the 'To what extent do you agree' the conclusion, or do I have to write a separate paragraph for that?

Yea so that'd be for the extent agreement bit, and logically speaking it would be your previous points summed up.

Original post by Exdoz
So a statement that is score 3 or above (to be specific- when answering the healthcare question), you will always need to write introduction (what statement means), 2 FOR points, 2 AGAINST points, a 'To what extent do you agree' paragraph, and a conclusion, to get the 3 or above right?

Or do I use a different format?

Yea that should be fine, you just have to write about all of the points they ask about. Don't worry about it too much, just so long your argument makes sense and is coherent you will be fine :smile:
Original post by slimthicc
usually, i think i have an idea of how to do it and it turns out I'm wrong :/ but sometimes i don't even know how to approach the question, i've already read through the entire assumed knowledge and made notes on the physics and maths but when i'm actually given a maths question, none of my prior knowledge seems to help?? dajsd it's so frustrating, i wish i just took all sciences for a level instead of trying to be quirky

Do you understand the answer though? Make sure you always understand the answer if you get it wrong. I don't know much other advice to give, I'd just spend the next week going over the physics and maths more in the assumed knowledge. You might also want to do some GCSE questions if you have like revision guides from GCSE period. If there are any topics or questions you don't understand, I'll be happy to help (although I'm not the best at physics :smile:).
Reply 808

Yea that should be fine, you just have to write about all of the points they ask about. Don't worry about it too much, just so long your argument makes sense and is coherent you will be fine :smile:

I just wrote my first essay and I don't know how to mark it. If I mark it, there will definitely be bias involved- it may be a 3 but I may give it a 6 (don't worry I know the highest is a 5 :biggrin: ).
But with the FOR and AGAINST, if I only write one FOR point and one AGAINST point, is that fine?
Is the 'To what extent do you agree' the conclusion, or do I need a separate paragraph?
Original post by Exdoz
I just wrote my first essay and I don't know how to mark it. If I mark it, there will definitely be bias involved- it may be a 3 but I may give it a 6 (don't worry I know the highest is a 5 :biggrin: ).
But with the FOR and AGAINST, if I only write one FOR point and one AGAINST point, is that fine?
Is the 'To what extent do you agree' the conclusion, or do I need a separate paragraph?

Depends on how much you can expand on those points and how much you think those points weigh, in terms of the argument.
You can incorporate that into your conclusion, or anywhere you really see that it works. But normally 3 paragraphs for the whole essay should be fine.
Do you understand the answer though? Make sure you always understand the answer if you get it wrong. I don't know much other advice to give, I'd just spend the next week going over the physics and maths more in the assumed knowledge. You might also want to do some GCSE questions if you have like revision guides from GCSE period. If there are any topics or questions you don't understand, I'll be happy to help (although I'm not the best at physics :smile:).

i think i'll do that! thank you so much for your help :smile:
Does anyone know whether they release the August/September past papers. I can only find the October ones.
For people who did the August/September sitting, did you find your score was similar to what you were getting in past papers? Which past paper do you think reflected your 2019 score the best.
Hello everyone could y’all take a look at this question and explain why the answer isn’t B?
Wouldn’t the vested interest affect the reliability of the conclusion ?
Original post by Tehraffaj
Hello everyone could y’all take a look at this question and explain why the answer isn’t B?
Wouldn’t the vested interest affect the reliability of the conclusion ?

Hi,
i'd say that the reason it isn't b is that the vested drug interest of the company would be the same for all areas of the study, therefore it wouldn't affect the conclusion of the study. It isnt an underlying assumption as it wouldn't change the results (if that makes sense). I'd guess that the answer is C because if Alzheimers was more common in certain areas it would likely affect the price spent per head.
Hope this helps (if im right haha)
Original post by SamAdler
Hi,
i'd say that the reason it isn't b is that the vested drug interest of the company would be the same for all areas of the study, therefore it wouldn't affect the conclusion of the study. It isnt an underlying assumption as it wouldn't change the results (if that makes sense). I'd guess that the answer is C because if Alzheimers was more common in certain areas it would likely affect the price spent per head.
Hope this helps (if im right haha)

mm id say the same thing too but i would have thought the ans would be D as the passage said "as low as $1 per head of the population above 65" not "per head of the population above 65 with Alzheimers", no?
The answer is C haha you’re right. D isn’t right cuz the population disparity is accounted for when they measured things “per head”
does anyone agree that bmat ninja are lenient with scores?? is it sufficient to just complete all the bmat ninja section 2 questions after doing the past papers?
BMAT ninja vs Medify
What's better?
Original post by scienceyyy
BMAT ninja vs Medify
What's better?

I haven't used BMAT ninja much, but most of the questions are just past paper questions from the BMAT and Oxford TSA. They don't use the more recent past paper questions so you can do them whole later on.
I have paid for BMAT Medify and I have found that it is not great. The UI is not great to start with, but it wouldn't really matter if the questions were good. The questions are quite unrepresentative of the actual thing and the explanations are poor. Occasionally, I have found that the answers are just wrong as well. This is for section 1. The section 2 questions on the whole are just not very great either. I don't think it's necessary to get, the ISC book is much better.

Latest

Trending

Trending