The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Course Flexibility

How flexible are the options for the first year of study at St Andrews in the Faculty of Science? I hope to apply for Biochemistry MSci and would like to do Spanish alongside. Do the other modules I take apart from the Biochemistry ones have to also be science-type modules or are language modules available for science faculty students?
You are best off directing this question to the uni themselves, as they're the only ones who will be able to give you a firm answer, as things may change year on year.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by username3866474
How flexible are the options for the first year of study at St Andrews in the Faculty of Science? I hope to apply for Biochemistry MSci and would like to do Spanish alongside. Do the other modules I take apart from the Biochemistry ones have to also be science-type modules or are language modules available for science faculty students?

From this page https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/study-options/ug/flexible/ :

You may be able to take up to 80 credits in total from another Faculty, though this will depend on the popularity and availability of the modules you wish to take.

Lanaguage modules are generally 20 credits, and the compulsory MSci Biochem modules in first year are currently 40 credits in semester 1, 40 in semester 2. So subject to fitting it into your timetable and classes not being oversubscribed (I've never heard of that happening to Spanish before) you should be able to take it.

If you want to get the official answer, try [email protected]
We were told at a recent tour that they have to be same for example if it’s a Bsc then other modules need to also be Bsc and likewise if you study a BA then it’s only BA modules you choose.
Original post by Bluebells602003
We were told at a recent tour that they have to be same for example if it’s a Bsc then other modules need to also be Bsc and likewise if you study a BA then it’s only BA modules you choose.

This is wrong.
is this something that has changed from my day then (graduated a couple of years ago)? it was always the case that you couldn't cross dress faculty of arts and sciences, which was why Economics and Psychology could be taken either as an arts of science
Original post by la_banane_verte
This is wrong.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
is this something that has changed from my day then (graduated a couple of years ago)? it was always the case that you couldn't cross dress faculty of arts and sciences, which was why Economics and Psychology could be taken either as an arts of science

Nope, it's been the case for years. Check the UG Senate Regulations for proof. The oldest ones online are 1998-99 and have for example:

2. The following subjects shall be recognised as qualifying for the award of any B.Sc. or M.Sci., or M.Chem.
degree:–
(i) Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics;
(ii) Astronomy & Astrophysics, Physics;
(iii) Chemistry, Geology;
(iv) Biochemistry, Biology, Psychology, Sport & Exercise Science;
(v) Economics, French, Geography, German, Logic & Philosophy of Science, Management Science;
(vi) any other subject qualifying for a degree in another Faculty.
[...]
5. A student who has gained at least 240 credits, of which:–
(a) at least 100 credits have been gained at Second level;
(b) at least 200 have been gained in subjects listed in Science Regulation 2 (i) - (v) above;
(c) at least 40 have been gained in subjects listed in Science Regulation 2 (i) - (iv)
may be admitted to an Honours B.Sc. Degree programme

Basically saying that at subhonours for BSc degree you could take 40 credits in Arts subjects. For the MA it's more generous in that year, and lets you take 80 credits at subhonours in Science years. The exact subjects and amount of credits might change over the years, but you've definitely been allowed to dip into the other Faculty for ages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending