The Student Room Group

PGCE School experience - My school experience is not related to my chosen subject

I want to study a PGCE Secondary course for Sep 2020 entry. I have graduated from uni this July 2019. I got offered a job as a graduate teaching assistant for 3 months (Sep 2019 to Dec 2019). However this TA job will be helping students in maths and English classes but NOT my chosen subject. Do I still have to do a weeks experience in my chosen subject as well?
Original post by Mickey976
I want to study a PGCE Secondary course for Sep 2020 entry. I have graduated from uni this July 2019. I got offered a job as a graduate teaching assistant for 3 months (Sep 2019 to Dec 2019). However this TA job will be helping students in maths and English classes but NOT my chosen subject. Do I still have to do a weeks experience in my chosen subject as well?

Which subject are you applying for? This will make a difference.

It's very likely that your work experience will be more than enough for most courses, but if you are applying for a really popular subject like PE, people with subject relevant experience may be preferred.
Reply 2
Thinking of applying to computer science and ICT
Original post by Mickey976
Thinking of applying to computer science and ICT

Computer science is a shortage subject, and whilst that doesn't guarantee you a place, it does mean that it's less competitive to get one, and 3 months of experience will be more than many people applying will have.

If you can help out with any computing- e.g. helping out with a coding club if the school runs one, that would be ideal, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending