The Student Room Group

a levels for a law degree

I want to study law at uni, ive got a rough idea of what i want to study but what are good subjects for it?
Original post by TaylaSamantha
I want to study law at uni, ive got a rough idea of what i want to study but what are good subjects for it?

For Law, universities would probably prefer if you did 1 or 2 essay subjects as they'll prepare you the best for studying it at university. As long as you have 1 or 2, you can do whatever you like.

Assuming you're doing A levels you could do: History, Philosophy, English Lit, English Lit&Lang (combined), modern languages, classical languages, Religious Studies, Economics, Law, Geography, Government&Politics, sciences, Maths and Music etc.

Personally, I think that A level History is the most relevant and useful for Law. After that, either A level English Lit, Philosophy, Law or Government&Politics.

Whichever subjects you choose to do, just make sure that you actually like/enjoy them and that you'll get a good grade. There's no point in doing a 'strong' subject only for you to hate it and fail.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TaylaSamantha

I wanna do the same as you in Uni, for me I am doing A levels;
law
classic civilization
film studies (considered as a free choice)

So for me when picking these subjects I looked at all the unis I wanna go to if first year goes well with my grades. those uni's are; KCL, LSE, Nottingham, UCL and Lincoln (if a levels don't go well this is the one I wanna go to). I looked at their accepted A levels, apart from LSE all the others are fine with my a levels.

so I say do your research as to what uni's your thinking about and see if your options are within their accepted category.
Choose the subjects you’ll get the highest grades in. Don’t stress about ‘soft’ vs ‘hard’ subjects. For law, ‘soft’ subjects like sociology and psychology are accepted as are most subjects. If you think you’ll do the best in bio, do it. It’d obviously be useful to do something a bit more essay based, but just choose subjects you enjoy/succeed in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending