The Student Room Group

Doing an LLM abroad?

I am going into my third year in September studying Law at King's College London. I am planning on doing an LLM but I would prefer to do it in another country.

How would this work if I then come back to the UK and apply to Chambers here? Would they see it as a moot degree because it was completed in another country, or would it be viewed the same as if it was done in the UK?

Another point - must I complete the LLM in a common law jursidiciton? I am planning to regardless, but would like some clarification.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I can't answer a number of your questions, but there are many notable people who have received an LLM in the United States before entering Chambers in the UK. Here are two: Rodney Dixon, Temple Garden Chambers (LLB in South Africa, LLM at Duke in the US). Amal Clooney (Jurisprudence at Oxford, LLM at NYU). My son is planning this same approach - LLB in the UK, LLM in the United States. This is most common for International Tax but it's essential for anyone who wants to also be admitted into the US (one can sit the Bar Exam in New York with just an LLB but one is more prepared after a US LLM (9 months)).
Original post by Fielding978
I am going into my third year in September studying Law at King's College London. I am planning on doing an LLM but I would prefer to do it in another country.

How would this work if I then come back to the UK and apply to Chambers here? Would they see it as a moot degree because it was completed in another country, or would it be viewed the same as if it was done in the UK?

Another point - must I complete the LLM in a common law jursidiciton? I am planning to regardless, but would like some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

As above, there are people who do LLMs abroad and go on to succeed at the bar. Typically in the US. There are some people who do it in EU law at one of the leading Euro schools.

Taking an LLM (or equiv.) from a civil law country can work if you are studying a subject which is regulated by international treaty. Or you are studying the laws of an interesting country (US but HK, Singapore, China).

I believe is doing a master's abroad. Might be he had some tidbits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending