The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Do Colleges accepting friends/girlfriends to sleep over ?

Hi everyone,

I'm an international student currently applying for the Cambridge LLM and MCL.

I have two choices of College and have undertaken some research. At the moment I'm leaning towards Trinity Hall or Downing.

However, something that's important to me is being able to host my girlfriend or friends when they come from abroad to visit. It's something we do a lot in my group of friends: we take sleeping bags and mattresses and go and visit this or that friend on exchange or doing a work placement abroad. I think I'd have to host friends or my girlfriend about once a month (so 9 times a year in total).

Do you know if Colleges allow this (i) - if the ones I've selected allow it (ii), and if not, do you know of Colleges where it's allowed or possible in practice (ii)?

PS: I'm new to the forum so sorry if I did something I should not :colondollar:
Reply 1
Sorry for the typo in the title, changed it at the last moment :frown:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm an international student currently applying for the Cambridge LLM and MCL.

I have two choices of College and have undertaken some research. At the moment I'm leaning towards Trinity Hall or Downing.

However, something that's important to me is being able to host my girlfriend or friends when they come from abroad to visit. It's something we do a lot in my group of friends: we take sleeping bags and mattresses and go and visit this or that friend on exchange or doing a work placement abroad. I think I'd have to host friends or my girlfriend about once a month (so 9 times a year in total).

Do you know if Colleges allow this (i) - if the ones I've selected allow it (ii), and if not, do you know of Colleges where it's allowed or possible in practice (ii)?

PS: I'm new to the forum so sorry if I did something I should not :colondollar:

All Colleges allow this, but only on an occasional basis, and some may limit it to 1, 2, or 3 nights at a time. College accommodation is like a communal home, and you are sharing the space with many other people and they don't particularly want strangers wandering around their home all the time. 1 consistent gf for one night, 9 times a year is probably going to be fine. 1 gf and 4 other friends staying for a week each time, not fine with any Colleges. You can't be running a drop-in centre for friends! It isn't a thing as much managed by rules, and by good collegiate living.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending