The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Crimson Black
Fair dos to the drivers, I think. I support checking oyster cards and being rigorous about paying your fare. The reason the fares go up so much every year is because people aren't paying and, on the bendy buses at least, sneak on through the back doors. It's a vicious cycle I guess, but I loathe people who wheedle the driver when they don't have the fare and then get angry at the driver for not letting them on. Call me a cad, but I feel satisfied when the undercover TfL conductors find fare-dodgers.

i agree with you. it annoys me when they hold up the whole bus and refuse to get off because they cant pay/or dont want to.
on one bus i was on, some guy threatened to kill the bus driver and kept punching the barrier thing =|
Reply 21
Buses are ****, full stop. Aside from the very, very, very occasional intercity one (when it can't be avoided) I never use them.
I am so glad I can use the buses for free in London, because I certainly wouldn't want to pay. These are my rants:
a) Bus drivers who can't use the breaks. A lot of people complain about this. Even if your holding onto the pole tightly you are still in danger of flying forward.
b) Bus drivers who wait for the 12-15 year old kids in SCHOOL UNIFORM to dig their oyster cards out of their bags. I mean, someone isn't going to wear school uniform just to get free bus travel.
c) The stupid men at the bus stop who inform bus drivers they are 1-3 minutes early & tell the bus drivers they have to wait.
Reply 23
Oh bus drivers. Here goes:

1. One the other day who said i looked too old and it wasn't me on my half fare pass. Had to whip out my provisional to prove it was me (same photo).
2. The kind who stop the bus to go upstairs and yell at children, therefore i miss my connecting bus and have to wait for 45 minutes in the rain for the next one.
3. Not about drivers but i live in an area which is near lots of estates full of old people. The looks and glares i get getting on a bus with my ipod from old people when i do nothing wrong :frown:

aaaah.
I am so, so glad I dont have to regularly use buses any more now I'm at uni. When I occasionally used one in Sheffield, the bus drivers were generally really cheery and actually chatted to me a couple of times....however that was because no-one ever used their bus route so there were no rude passengers to annoy them!

The ones in Birmingham are generally right grumpy gits. However the worst bus driver I had was this absolute nutter in Cornwall who drove at 70 mph down little country roads playing Motorhead at full volume, actually knocking us out of our seats when he went round corners!
I find most bus drivers quite friendly.
I hate the bus service, I have to get 4 buses a day to work (2 there, 2 back), and literally they are never on time. The buses are every ten minutes and the difference between two buses is being half an hour early, or ten minutes late to work. It's rubbish, and expensive too! I pay £42 a month for a bus ticket, which works out so much cheaper than buying a ticket every day but still, for the service they provide it so isn't worth it.

I also got kept on the bus the other week by a complete arsehole. I pressed the bell, and made sure it rang before going downstairs and he drove straight past my stop before asking me where I wanted to get off, so I told him the one he'd just driven past and had a right go at me for not pressing the bell. I argued that I had and had heard it ring to which he replied "well it isn't lit up on my dashboard that you pressed it, so you musn't have." so, I argued some more about how I did and he actually had the audactiy to say "go back and press the bell and see if it lights up on my dashboard". I was so shocked I just said can you just let me off the bus, and he still told me to go back and press the bell, I had to actually shout at him to let me off the bus! Stupid prick.
Most bus drivers I have met have been great, one once said as a whole bunch of guys I know got on the bus that he's just change the bus to not in service and run us right to our destiation so we don't have to walk.

Plus, all of them will drop you off at places where there aren't actually any stops if you ask nicely.

What I want to really go on is a post bus but I haven't yet managed, they don't go very often.
Reply 28
While there are some fairly nice bus drivers, I've had more bad experiences than good. I've had numerous times when I've been on a roundabout and a bus driver refuses to even look and just charges through forcing me to come to a pretty sudden stop. I've also had times where I've been waiting at a bus stop at about 3am in the morning when the service is incredibly infrequent and when the bus finally does come it just drives straight past the stop despite me stepping out onto the road to flag it down. There have also been times when people have been crossing the road and the traffic lights turn to flashing amber and the bus driver starts to move off regardless of whether there are pedestrians still on the road.

There are some decent ones but I swear a lot of them are incredibly miserable people. Stereotyping, I know, but it's just my general experience is that they're always quite irritated!
Most of the uni bus drivers are friendly, although a while ago there was one (who I haven't seen for ages so probably got sacked) who drove too fast, beeped at everyone even if they'd done nothing illegal but had just annoyed him, and shouting at practically every passenger. Once he stopped and opened the front door to let people off, there were two people waiting at the back door and when they shouted to him to ask if he'd open that door as well he shouted at them. Once I was sitting near the front of the bus and at my stop he only opened the back doors. I walked to the front, and he didn't open the door so I asked if he could and he snapped at me that he'd opened the back doors and I should have got off there :rolleyes:.

The drivers on the non-uni buses are awful. They are just generally rude, and if you ring the bell none of them will actually stop unless you stand up and go to the front of the bus. The first few times I used them I missed about three stops because I didn't realise that. It's so annoying, especially if you have a lot of bags.

A few years ago my friend didn't have the right change for her ticket so the driver swore at her, then moaned about her to the person getting on the bus behind us :eek:.
Ah I had plenty of crappy bus drivers when I was in school.

The best was probably when a 6th former from my school swore at the driver for driving past a group of kids from another school who got the bus everyday. Instead of just ignoring it he drove the entire bus to the police station, parked outside and turned on an alarm the bus was fitted with. There were normal people on board as well, not just kids! After about a minute a policeman came out carrying a mug of coffee and politely asked the person who swore to get off and told the driver to shut the f up and do his job.

Another time the same driver said we were making too much noise and so pulled the bus over and refused to move until we all got off. A guy stood up and told the driver that no one was getting off and that if he didn't move the bus he'd drive it for him! We moved pretty quickly then!

Oh yeah, different driver this time. A girl in the year above had some birthday candles and a lighter and decided to light one of them on the bus. The driver smelt it and pulled over and told all the boys to get off the bus because we were trying to set the bus on fire. Most of the younger kids got off but I refused to until he proved that a) one of the boys who got off did something or b) that I was the one setting fires. He got really angry and shouted at me but I refused to budge. Eventually he listened to the girl who said it was her, he let the boys back on and we carried on. No apology and no remorse.

The drivers who treated us like humans never had a problem with anything we did since we were pretty well behaved.
Reply 31
I don't tend to use buses (peasants), but still - the drivers can be pretty silly.

I've been shouted at by bus drivers before. :frown: OK, so I had just gone outside to pick up some litter he threw out the door and then brought it back in the bus - but that's irrelevant! Stupid bus driver shouting at me.

AND I was on a bus the other day and some **** outside threw a brick at the window where me and a 9 year-old sister of a friend were sitting. Needless to say there was much diving and shouting and stuff... and to make it worse, the driver just kept on driving. Didn't even check if we were alright or acknowledge that a window had just shattered over the passengers. Hm... Maybe it was the one I peed off by picking up litter.
Reply 32
my partners a bus driver and so is his dad and brother, and they have been for a good few years so i kinda understand why they can get moody!
how would you feel if you kept getting smashed windows from people lobbing things at the bus whilst your driving along which meant you have to travel back to the yard to get a new bus only for it to happen again later on in that duty, the long shifts they have to do, abuse they get from passengers (my partner has had food thrown at him cans of beer thrown at him, some oap also started hitting him with his walking stick!!!)
its not as if the drivers have an easy job.
if the passengers were nicer to them then maybe they wouldnt be so god damn stroppy!
and the whole thing with the 11 yr + oyster cards???? if an inspector gets on and the passenger is on the bus without the oyster or havnt swiped in then it risks the driver losing their job
Reply 33
I hate the bus system.

Not only are services being cut in this area, as well as prices going up every so often, but the annoying people on them (sometimes).
Reply 34
Some bus drivers are nice, I had a lovely conversation with one the other day
Reply 35
lolly pop
if the passengers were nicer to them then maybe they wouldnt be so god damn stroppy!

I do totally agree !!!!! We should all hug and buy flowers to bus drivers ^^
Reply 36
I hate the ones who don't let me get away with child fare :p:
I really hate the college bus driver for the journey home.
Whilst driving a double-decker bus, he talks on his mobile phone, listens to hardcore rave music, and speeds. Like, he goes way over the speed limit. There's a road that the college bus goes down and it's the national speed limit... but for a double decker? It's a generally straight road, but there's a bend in it, and he nearly ended up on the other side of the road once :s-smilie:
And he nearly knocked some cyclists off their bikes... Hmm.

Ah well, I only need to get on that bus once more and then never again. Thank god!

I always try to be polite to bus drivers though, no matter how grumpy they are.
Reply 38
noone grows up wanting to be a bus driver its one of those respectable consolation jobs like delivering the post, so course there going to be **** they dont give a ****
Reply 39
roots
noone grows up wanting to be a bus driver its one of those respectable consolation jobs like delivering the post, so course there going to be **** they dont give a ****

Yea, maybe they wanted to be limo drivers, you know, aim high and all that stuff, and then realised their beer bellies wouldnt fit, so made do with being bus drivers!

On another note, before, I always used to here people say "thanks dave" whenever they left the bus, and after a few times I started thinkin WTF, every single bus i go on, the drivers called Dave :confused: So I let it carry on for a few weeks, listening to people say "Thanks Dave" as they left, then decided to ask one of them how many Daves there are in the bus driving industry lol! :redface: Then the driver made it clear they were saying Thanks Drive not Thanks dave :redface: :redface: :redface: :eek: ....I can never take the 9A from city centre no more, ohhhh the shame!

Latest

Trending

Trending